Remington model 513

I started out shooting benchrest with a 513, had just as much fun with it as I do with a 3000.00 rifle. I didn't shoot any 250's but a 240 to a 245 and even a 247 one time and that tided the range record at the time at Caldwell Co. gun club. And this was off of a Hoppe's front rest . Is it a benchrest rifle no but it is a start to some fun shooting. Now I shoot 3000.00+ rifles and it is still hard to shoot a 247 sometime.

Man if there ever was a good trigger replacement for the 513 .................. ( I can dream can't I )

Shoot`n For Fun

I started out shooting benchrest with a 513, had just as much fun with it as I do with a 3000.00 rifle. I didn't shoot any 250's but a 240 to a 245 and even a 247 one time and that tided the range record at the time at Caldwell Co. gun club. And this was off of a Hoppe's front rest . Is it a benchrest rifle no but it is a start to some fun shooting. Now I shoot 3000.00+ rifles and it is still hard to shoot a 247 sometime.

Excellent reply......!!!!... we shoot to enjoy it...... The 513 is a great gun to learn with, and decide how much you wanna spend to win...

Excellent reply......!!!!... we shoot to enjoy it...... The 513 is a great gun to learn with, and decide how much you wanna spend to win...

Now this is an interesting post. You may not realize it but this is the kind of attitude that is not only flat wrong but damaging as well. Money buys wins .....really?
While you sure need to have competent equipment, last I knew, skills count plenty.
One of the big things wrong with this sport is that far too many guys believe what they read on forums and generally believe you will never advance without a super expensive rifle, rarely is either true.
Throw the " only a chosen few guys get the good ammo" BS on the pile as well.

Shooting For Fun

Now this is an interesting post. You may not realize it but this is the kind of attitude that is not only flat wrong but damaging as well. Money buys wins .....really?
While you sure need to have competent equipment, last I knew, skills count plenty.
One of the big things wrong with this sport is that far too many guys believe what they read on forums and generally believe you will never advance without a super expensive rifle, rarely is either true.
Throw the " only a chosen few guys get the good ammo" BS on the pile as well.

yes......... it takes a lot of money to win.......
1.) competitive equipment... gun...ammo....rests...bags.... cart.... spot scope.... wind flags.....thousands $$$$$$
2.) Travel exspenses.... vehicle..... room..... meals...... time off work.....
3.) entry fees....
and lotsa incidentals.....

add up what it takes to compete at a big match...... but be sure your wife don`t find out......

bill larson

yes......... it takes a lot of money to win.......
1.) competitive equipment... gun...ammo....rests...bags.... cart.... spot scope.... wind flags.....thousands $$$$$$
2.) Travel exspenses.... vehicle..... room..... meals...... time off work.....
3.) entry fees....
and lotsa incidentals.....

add up what it takes to compete at a big match...... but be sure your wife don`t find out......

bill larson

Well sure, it's by no means what anybody would call cheap but I took your post as haveing a correlation only between money and success.

Imo

if you are going to shoot IR50/50 or any of the other modern BR disciplines you will need a modern rifle along the lines of those listed in the equipment lists. A great rifle is no guarantee of success but its part of the equation.

If you plan on shooting BR on the club level at 100 yds on NRA targets a good 40X or XB, Win 52 or Rem 37 is a pretty good selection. Others may suffice but these three vintage rifles are pretty good selections, especially if you have a thing for vintage rifles like i do. The issue with the 52 pre A, A, B and C and D target rifles is that the receivers were not drilled for scope blocks, the blocks are on the barrels for old long focus scopes like Unertl and Lyman. This adds to the cost by quite a bit. If you buy good condition rifles and scopes you can use them and sell them down the road if you take care of them, assuming there isn't a sea change in the demand for them.

I shoot the occasional IR 50/50 match with a bedded and light trigger pull Rem 37. The best I've been able to do so far is a 249, but its what I enjoy shooting and I know there is 250 in the rifle, but I'm still looking for it in me! :)

Last edited:
i got the 513.what a great gun.hole in hole at 25 yards.wish i could remember what ammo i used lol.

The 513 is flat out FUN! I've had several, they all shot waaaay out of proportion to what they cost. There is one I've always kept. First one I bought, a long time ago. I actually gave it to my son but he leaves it here. Anyway, the guy who had it before me shot for money with it, supposedly did pretty well, from what I was told. He eventually upgraded and I bought the 513. He had glass bedded a portion of the barrel a little ways down the barrel channel. I don't know how he knew to do that, or if it even really helped. But I'm not changing it. Something works on this rifle.

I was talking to Gene Davis, a noted Ohio rimfire gunsmith awhile back and mentioned I'd seen a couple of Remington 513's he had on gunbroker. He had cleaned up the crowns and done some trigger work. I asked how they shot and he said "great!". He said the barrels on 513's were very good. He also said if you really wanted to surprise people, cut off the old chamber and rechamber it with a true match chamber and it was impressive how they shot. Not cost effective AT ALL unless you can do the work yourself.

A good Remington 513 is just pure fun, enjoy it for what it is, and annoy your friends with the accuracy.

Take care,

Greg

513 was my first small bore match rifle- taught ya a lot about trigger control :D, particularly in offhand, had several over the years, should likely find a couple more for the grandsons.

Back