Remington Model 37 for RF BR

CubCouper

Rodney Brown
I was looking at one of my extra LV stocks and wondering what to do with it when it hit me that I have a 98% original Model 37 Remington in the closet... figured it was time to take it out and fit it to a BR stock. Is anybody using a rifle based off the 37 platform? Any tips on what to do set it up? Could it have the potential to competitive with today's front line offerings?

I don't imagine that I will get to any matches with it any time soon - closest ones from my house are well over 600 miles and CF competitions already consume most weekends. Still, I have a bench and can set up a 50 yd range here at the house and I may luck out and catch a match while traveling some day.

Rod

Last edited:
I have several 37s built into BR configurations. Some 37 barrels can be killers and/or putting on a new barrel is not a big deal. The factory trigger is NOT good enough for todays BR, it was built when 3 pounds was the norm and you want 2 oz today. Locate a Kenyon or Canjar trigger and be in hog heaven. I've shot 37s in ARA, IR50 RBA and PSL matches. There are a few out there and they CAN be competitive when properly configured. Like any rifle technique, ammo, ability to read the flags etc etc are just as if not more important than the action in the stock. But, don't expect to get your money back when the time comes to sell. Do it for you, not for profit; it will still be a 37 and won't draw the attention nor the $$$ of a Turbo etc. bob

In the first paragraph you asked a simple question. It won't, in all likelyhood, be anywhere near competive with anything in the frontline. If you want something in that arena your best bet is to sell it, buy any of the custom actions, and have something built. From where you are, your out of pocket will likely be no more and you would probably have a marketable BR gun when you're done.

I`m in agreement with Tim , I collect 37`s and have a friend that butchered 17 of them up into BR rifles ,man what a waste of history, If you are interested he probably would trade you one for your unmolested rifle! PM me and I can give you his contact info. I had considered doing the same thing and build a sporter,which Dan Killough has one with a Kenyon Trigger

Guys, Rod did say it was 98% original, not 100%. That 2% tells me it is not a "collector" or put another way not an unmolested 37. Some of us want to do something special for ourselves, and that is to be admired. We all agree there is no profit in converting a 37 into a br rifle. I'm in violent agreement that to convert a 100% original 37 is akin to sin, but maybe not to Rod with his 98% rifle. Who knows maybe Rod will get the bug and join our meager ranks. bob

Mine has had an accessory rail added to the bottom of the stock and a folding butt hook, other than that is original. The serial number is probably the most collectible part. In any case, I won't be selling, trading, or doing any more irreversible changes to it -- it was the very first gun I ever bought nearly 40 years ago -- a lot of sentimental value. I used it for position shooting until I earned a spot on the college team with a school-supplied Anshutz. From my research it looks like the most difficult thing would be to obtain a BR-class trigger (something akin to the Jewell on my PPC) as neither Kenyon nor Canjar are around anymore.

For now I'll get it bedded in a BR stock and accept what gives me - 3# trigger and all. One of my most memorable shots of my youth was a prairie dog at 237 yards -- nothing special by CF standards but no small feat with target iron sights on a .22.

Rod

I don't... the folding hook was on the gun when I got it. The gunsmith I bought it from had used the gun for a local indoor winter league (back when towns used to have such things). I still have all the accessories he gave... the offhand palm rest, homemade slings, sight aperatures, etc but not the original butt plate.

Original model 37's are hard to find! A original 37 and in mint condition is even harder! Lucky to own a very early and late 37 in mint original condition! Seems like about all the 37's I find have been altered to suit the shooters need or the original ones are not in very good condition! I collect mainly 52 winchesters and they are alot easier to find but with only 12000 model 37's and 125000 model 52's its no wonder!

Back