Remington clones

Tod Soeby

I want to build a "budget" dasher. I am going to take my current dasher and retire it to it's varment stock. I wanted to use my current Shehane MBR tracker and get a shiny new dual port BAT, but discovered I can not use the stock without extensive work. So my questions are....Are any of the actions with the Rem foot print offered with a dual port, or at the least a RB LP configuration. Also...I am in love with my BAT M and L actions. Very, very smooth with the bolt opening (cocking) without upsetting the gun on the bags. The bolt lift on all my remingtons is hard enough to upset the gun in the bags unless I hold the gun with my other hand. How does a Rem clone bolt lift compare to my current BAT's. Is the BAT clone better or worse than say a Stillar or any other brand. I have a spare NF, all the dies, 400 formed brass, 2000 sorted Bergers, primers, ect........Just sick of my Remmy!!! I guess what I am trying to do is save the 800 - 1000 on a new stock.

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:
I think the new Haverkamp actions will be very nice. They are remington type foot print, well kinda. No front recoil lug. Check them out. Mine will be done hopefully this week. Lee

Have you considered the Lawton 7500? They make it in a dual port and other configurations. I never had a dual port, to me a single port action would be stiffer. My Lawton has around 300 rounds thru it, and everytime I shoot it, the smoother it gets. They are a very well made action at a reasonable price.
jack1k

Pierce, Kelbly, Stiller, Bat, Lawton - they all make Remy clones that are hard to beat. I beleive that they all make at least RBLP configurations and some make dual ports.

Pierce, Kelbly, Stiller, Bat, Lawton - they all make Remy clones that are hard to beat. I beleive that they all make at least RBLP configurations and some make dual ports.

Been looking at all of them....I love BAT, but they say that their actions are based "loosly" on the Rem. What-N-L does that mean? I expect some bedding work, even on a "drop in". I am the furthest thing from a gunsmith that GOD put on this earth, so I am not sure how little of much bedding work it will need. If I need to spend hundreds of $$$ on bedding work I may as well get a new stock and a "true" br action properly inletted.

I also been looking at Jim Bordens actions.

As far as bolt lift (cocking)......how stiff are tne clones...like I said, all of my Remmys have very hard bolt lift. I want one that is "BAT LIKE". Is that even possible????

Tod,
If you are looking for an action that opens easily I am told you want a Barnard. They offer a model that fits the Remington stock footprint and uses Remington compatible triggers, I believe it is the Model S.
I think they are the ugliest action on the market so if they weren't any good I don't think they would last long. It is kind of like going to the horse races, always bet on the grey horse because they are so damn ugly if they couldn't run they wouldn't be there, 'cause nobody wants to just look at them.
Having said that I am not sure the Barnard model S is offered in Dual Port or RBLP.
I am useing a Lawton 7500 and Defiance action. I believe the Lawton opens easier than the Defiance, because of a heavier firing pin spring on the Defiance. If your looking for easy bolt lift I'm not sure either one is what you're looking for. What I like about these 2 actions is the longer tenon they both have. Standard on the Lawton, optional on the Defiance.

James

Tod
You can have BAT put there 120% lug bearings on a 180% action to make the bolt lift even easier.
Waterboy

Lynn,
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean have them put the roller cocking piece, that is standard on the three lug actions, on one of their two lug actions?
Boyd

Dual Port Clone

Dave Tooley in Gastonia has his own dual port actions (Orion) made by Stiller. He has both short and Long actions. They are very nice. I built a 6mmBRX on one last year. They would work with the Dasher nicely. Give Dave a call.

Nat Lambeth

Leonard Baity is making Remington clones in any bolt/port configuration you want.

http://www.baityscustom.com

Have one on order sight unseen, don't know for what yet but will think of something. Leonard's reputation as a top 1000 yard gunsmith lends itself to these actions being nothing short of exceptional.

Jeff in OH

Last edited by a moderator:
My gunsmith is really taken with the new Bighorn action. These are rem 700 clones and they feature a floating bolt head. Jon says they have the nicest tig welded bolt handle he has ever seen, on a rifle action. He also says the rest of the action is very well machined. Jon (my smith) is a long range tactical guy and he is going to build a rifle off one of these new actions. I think he said they are a bit on the tight side for tactical, but he is so take by them, he is going to try it anyway. I trust Jon as i know what kind of a gunsmith he is, and if he likes something there is a good reason behind it. I dont know enough about the floating bolt head to know myself if it is a good feature or not, but it does make since, I think!! LOL!! I dont know! But Jon's sure likes them thus far! You Might check it out. They are also making them in Left bolt for you lefties out there. That's All i know!! Lee

Leonard Baity is making Remington clones in any bolt/port configuration you want.

http://www.baityscustom.com

Have one on order sight unseen, don't know for what yet but will think of something. Leonard's reputation as a top 1000 yard gunsmith lends itself to these actions being nothing short of exceptional.

Jeff in OH

I fired off an e-mail on Sat am and Leonard called me back on Sat afternoon!!! Very nice man, and more to the point, very knowlegable. Sounds like a hell of a good product!!! Any bolt-port config!!

Research tells me he is a top notch smith in the 1000 br world.:)

This may be the one!

Is your Shehane MBR tracker fully inletted for a particular action?
If not, you might as well use any action you like.

Is your Shehane MBR tracker fully inletted for a particular action?
If not, you might as well use any action you like.

Yes....for my Rem 700 SA with a .250 recoil lug. Single shot.

I agree. If I needed to compleatly rework the bedding, pillars, bolt cut out, ect..... I may as well start from scratch with a "true" BR action and new stock. I don't do any of that work myself, and good work costs money

Like I said....I am trying to save some $$$$$ by using my existing stock. Weather or not I will be happier with a Rem Clone and saving $1000.00 or spending more and getting a top end BAT is the question.

Last edited:
I fired off an e-mail on Sat am and Leonard called me back on Sat afternoon!!! Very nice man, and more to the point, very knowlegable. Sounds like a hell of a good product!!! Any bolt-port config!!

Research tells me he is a top notch smith in the 1000 br world.:)

This may be the one!

Leonard has done my work for about 4 years now. He once turned a HG barrel around for me between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Why? Because my brother lives about an hour away and took it to him and brought it back to me in Ohio on family visit trips. Saved me a bundle on shipping. Leonard is a great smith and great person to work with.

Oh, the HG barrel is a winner too, 300WBY.

Good Luck,

Jeff in OH

Back