Remington Accuracy

D

dmschmidt

What sort of accuracy has anyone seen from a factory 700 BDL? I'm considering a 300 win mag with fluted barrel and wood stock. I know Tikkas are nail drivers, but I'd like to buy American.

Schmidt

Great last name.

If it is accuracy you are looking for, why not go with a Savage. It is hard to find one that does not shoot quite well right out of the box. Forget all of that hype from years past. Savage has come a long way.

300 Win Mag is recognized as one of the more accurate chamberings to be had.

I really do not know how well Remington has come back in the past couple of years. For a while, (through the 90's and 2000 years), their quality in terms of out of the box accuracy left much to be desired.

Savage has put a big effort into making their products "Rifleman Friendly
". They seem to have caught on to the concept that an accurate Rifle is a beautiful Rifle..........jackie

Nothing wrong with a Remington. Break the barrel in right and take the time to find the proper load. So many people do not take the time for proper load development with factory rifles. Most of the time results are very impressive. Mine is an honest 5/8" gun with 165gr Accubonds using RL-25.

Got to back up Jackie

A few years ago prior to an Elk hunt in Colorado a buddy of mine brought me his Savage 300 Mag asking me to put a Rifle Basiic trigger in it.

After changing it out, we went down to our tunnel to sight our rifles in.

I drug along my Custom Mod 70 300 Mag that is a known tack driver (also a ton of money in her) so I could let Rick shoot a REAL rifle.......

Got my tail spanked!!!! I was shocked, the Savage was laying down groups that my Winny had never done, even when she was new. I was totally impressed.

Rick didn't say much, just smiled..... Jerk......lol

Also, have you looked down the barrel of a Factory Remington lately, I have, nothing to be impressed about there.

Today, if I was going to buy a big bore hunting rifle it would be very hard to decide on anything but the Savage......

Just my two cents worth......

Randy

I have been a Remington fan all my life, but the accuracy of the last two caused me to look in another direction. I needed a rifle that would shoot factory ammo accurately, I don't have the time to reload right now. I chose the Browning X bolt , detachable polymer box magazine, glass bedded and free floated from the factory, small palm swell to the stock, very nice looking & handeling and I topped it off with a Nikon 4.5x14. The day I went to the range a cold front blew in and the winds were gusting above 40mph, I didn't have alot of confidence with these conditions but loaded up the Federal Premiun 130 grn. anyway and much to my suprise it grouped 3 shots in 3/4 of a inch with factory ammo. I can't wait until I can get back to the range and see what it will do in good conditions maybe 1/2 in. Anyway I am extremley pleased with it and will probably buy another one or two.

If you're going to keep it as is, buy the Tikka. Tikka is a hands-down better rifle out of the box.

If you want to customize the rifle, buy a Remington. The Remington is a great action to build off. I'm breaking in a custom .280 AI on a 700 this season. Its wearing a Shilen Select bbl and has had minimal action work done. So far, five round groups shoot in the .3s including the cold-bore.

My 700 VLS and every other one I've seen in .204 Ruger seems to be a real shooter! Mine shoots about the same as yours and three or four other guys bought them from the same shop as me and their groups are just about as good.

The last sendero

I owned in 300 win mag was super accurate but just too much of a thumper for our little whitetail & sold it to a buddy.

pf
<><

thanks

Thanks for the replies, I know that Tikkas are great shooters, just would like to buy something American made, however, I'd hate to spend the extra money on a Remmy and have it be a turd, like my Kimber!

My father and I have had nothing but good luck with Remington, and now that they have an adjustable trigger they are much more of a value. But last time I looked the Remington's are more $ than the Tikka and I too buy american when ever possible , but best bang for the buck is the Tikka, IMO
Did you have a bad experince w/Kimber? Explain please.

Sold a gun of mine the other day.

Looked at a Remington in 17 fireball. Terrible finish felt cheap.

Looked at a CZ nicest machining I've seen. Except the walnut was scratched so.

Both of these cost more than what I bought.

Wanted A 12vbss Laminate Savage but not with my Budget and local store prices.

I found a Savage 12FV .223 and mounted my scope off the Ar-15 Match rifle on it.

Cleaned crud out of the barrel.

bore swabbed with jewlers polish then fired 7 rounds.

Cleaned the gun very thoroughly then bore sighted.

Off to the shooting range with various loads from my semi-auto rifles.

A quote of Ron Simmons from wrestling would summarize my response to the Savage Damn.......

Stock thick heavy paintable, pillar bedded free floated, ample room to load single shot or 4 in the clip and 1 in the chamber, 26" heavy barrel that tapers
tightest smoothest bore comparable to one of my match barrels, Then the
accu trigger makes you hold good shooting form and very crisp with no creep or overtravel. Weight easily adjustable. Barrel I can change to .221 Fireball 6ppc 6 br 30br etc along with bolt face swaps. The gun is modular.

With my 55gr and 75gr Moly Loads from my semi-autos I would shoot a postal or score match with it and shoot for groups with it.

At load development range 50yds majority of 10x's and sub .25" groups.

Hmm... YIPPEEEEEEE Try a medium or upper end Savage Out of the box it shoots with or better than some custom guns.

I also have a Savage Model 12. I bought the least expensive of the five or six variants that are out there. I paid $479 for the rifle. It is in 22-250 and while it has been a little weak on consistency, that aspect is getting better. It has shot some small 100 yd groups. The smallest was 0.3 inch. Others are in 3/8 inch. Sometimes these are five-shot groups, also.

I have spent a lot of time working up loads. Do not expect to do this with factory ammo.

For big game hunting, it is not necessary to attain this sort of accuracy. I'm sure you know that.

I would guess that Remington makes a rifle you would like. We have a Remington Model 700 Classic that we very much like. Everyone enjoys shooting that rifle. It will only deliver groups of about 1-3/4 inch at 100. It has a light 22 inch barrel, and I am not sure it is reasonable to expect much more.

Good luck.

Remmies

I did an FFL transfer through my gunsmith who is an instructor at a local gunsmithing program. I went to pick up the rifle earlier this week. He told me about a couple of Remingtons that they brought as class projects to customize as gifts for someone related to the college (blueprint, shilen barrels, triggers, and custom stocks). These were brought for the actions and were the low end models, but the trigger guards were plastic. Most importantly the action face of one was almost 0.010" out of square and the other had less than 10% lug contact.

These aren't the same Remmies I grew up with. I still have 3 700s that were made in the 80s and they have all been good guns. Couple of years ago I got a 700 Varmint Synthetic 308 that was on clearance (probably early 2000 production). It is a fowler and you clean out a copper mine at the end of each shooting session, but the darn thing with shoot sub 1.5" groups at 300 yds almost all day long with RE-15/168SMK/Laupa. Only thing that has been done is skim bed the action and adjust the trigger down.

With the said since I discover the modular nature and accuracy potential of Savages a few years ago, I shoot my Savages 5 times more than the Remmies. I guess I just like swapping the barrels to try new calibers. A pretty gun to me produces consistently small groups.

Luck in your choice, tiny

I did an FFL transfer through my gunsmith who is an instructor at a local gunsmithing program. I went to pick up the rifle earlier this week. He told me about a couple of Remingtons that they brought as class projects to customize as gifts for someone related to the college (blueprint, shilen barrels, triggers, and custom stocks). These were brought for the actions and were the low end models, but the trigger guards were plastic. Most importantly the action face of one was almost 0.010" out of square and the other had less than 10% lug contact.

Plastic trigger guards? I suppose you're not talking about a 700, rather the 710 or 770? The SPS 700s are the cheapest they make and they have the same aluminum as the high-end 700s.

remongton 700

i rem 700s because my gunsmith won't put a barrel on any other ( except custom) . their triggers are great. can't comment on savage. i have loaded for a lot of 300wm senderos. all shot great. i used lapua brass. i found the 300wm one of the "most forgiving" calibers to load for after the 222 and 308. the senderos have muzzle breaks . shooting a bdl weight rifle with or with out a muzzle break would be a little much for me for targets. roninflag

plastic trigger guards

I have seen, and owned one, of the cheapo Remington ADL's with a plastic trigger guard. It was the model prior to the SPS, with a bead blasted finish and the tupperware stock, they were sold mostly through Wal-Mart although did see them in some other sporting good stores also.

I have also seen the same model with an aluminum trigger guard - I have no idea why they made them both ways but they did.

My father and I have had nothing but good luck with Remington, and now that they have an adjustable trigger they are much more of a value. But last time I looked the Remington's are more $ than the Tikka and I too buy american when ever possible , but best bang for the buck is the Tikka, IMO
Did you have a bad experince w/Kimber? Explain please.
I have a 84M Kimber in 7-08, doesn't feed real good, have to be careful when racking one in, also, after 6 rounds, the accuarcy goes from a best of 1.5" to 6" real fast! If I clean the barrel every 6 rounds or so, it stays consistant. Not a bad hunting rifle I guess, just not what I expect from a rifle in this price range. After deer season, I'm going to lap the barrel in hopes of improving the fouling issue.

I have a 84M Kimber in 7-08, doesn't feed real good, have to be careful when racking one in, also, after 6 rounds, the accuarcy goes from a best of 1.5" to 6" real fast! If I clean the barrel every 6 rounds or so, it stays consistant. Not a bad hunting rifle I guess, just not what I expect from a rifle in this price range. After deer season, I'm going to lap the barrel in hopes of improving the fouling issue.

That sounds like one to send back to Kimber. If I bought a gun and was getting these resuls I would be Pissed :mad: I had some real good dealings w/Kimber I would think if you called them and explained your story they would take care of you.

Back