Remington 722

jackie schmidt

I was coming back from Bridge City, (Tx), today after looking at a job at Burton Shipyard, and I stopped at a Pawn Shop. They have a Rem 722 on the rack in 222 Remington. The Rifle is slick as glass and in really great shape.

I looked down the barrel, and while I could not count the lands and grooves, it sure looked like it had more than 6. It really looked like one of those Shillen 8 grooves from way back when. The bore looked great.

Since this is the originol barrel, I was wondering if Rem did make 222's in configurations with more than 6 grooves?

I have to head back over there next week, I just might buy it. $750 is what they are asking, I think it might be worth it..........jackie

Last edited:
Wow, it would be half that up here at a gun show... mind you that is what they are asking... a lower offer is expected...

Dennis, this Rifle looks great, hardly a mark on it. I forgot to write down the barrel code to get it's DOB.

I know it's not worth the $750, but sometimes I ignore the price of something if I think it is special.

Do you have any info on the barrel groove thing I asked about?

I paid 250.00 for my last 722, 3 yrs ago. I'd not go higher today... I'll guess retail is around 450.00

al

Dennis, this Rifle looks great, hardly a mark on it. I forgot to write down the barrel code to get it's DOB.

I know it's not worth the $750, but sometimes I ignore the price of something if I think it is special.

Do you have any info on the barrel groove thing I asked about?

I don't have anything on the rifling you described... I am going to look into it a bit...

I've had a XX barrel code 222 listed for sale for over a month. Mine is all original and in excellent condition. I will look at the bore and see if I can determine the groove count. I believe mine is a 1950 issue. 1st year for the 222.

The DCM sold some .22 cal. 40X's in 722 and 700 actions for less than $750,a short while ago.The old farts group in our club bought 8 and there were 3 722 actions in the bunch.
These guns were all in excellent condition and came with the rear and front sights.

I have one chambered in 300 savage,i paid $400 for it 2 years ago,it is in almost perfect condition,has 6 groove barrel(factory)

If it is the original barrel I think you will find that it has 6 grooves. According to my sources Remington first announced the 722 222 on March 1 1950. These guns were made with two different weight barrels. Both barrels were 26" and both had the rear sight boss, the difference being the diameter. One had a .625 muzzle the other was .570. In 1958 they eliminated the sight boss and went to 24". I believe 1961 was the last year they were made. I have a pair and they both have the light barrels. With modern components they both shoot as good as any thing out there today in that category. If it has been rebarreled it probably wouldn't have the original induction brazed front sight. If you have the serial # I can come pretty close to when it was made. There are still some nice ones out there in the four to five hundred dollar price range.

This one has the sight boss, and is the skinnier barrel.

I guess I will take $500 cash and lay it on the counter. The Rifle is really nice.

It probably has a 6 groove barrel, I am so used to looking at four groove Kriegers, I guess any thing more looks like a Marlin........jackie

Jackie, Sooo what's next the 725 ?. You seem to be going RETRO with the Remintons :cool: . You did a real nice 721, looking at the 722, the 725 ( a 300 H&H would give you a WELL rounded set) seems a logical next step..........

Jackie,
If its as nice as you say,like you,I would probably be willing to pay more than its worth. Looking back thru the years I have spent money a lot more foolishly! I have fond memories of these rifles back in the days when they were the only game in town. My first varmint rifle was a mod. 43 hornet with a J series 4X weaver scope. Back then I didn't handload and if I was able to shoot a two inch group at 100 yds. I was pretty proud of myself. I killed quite a few chucks with about half of them dying in their hole. The 722 222 changed all that! Later on I put togather a varminter (22-250) but as most of my woodchuck hunting was under 300 yds. I soon came to the conclusion that I had a clear cut case of overkill! I guess that pretty much sums up my love affair with the triple deuce.

Martin

P.S.- If I rattled on longer than I should have it's because I got caught up on my shop work and it's still to early to go to bed.

Back