Remington 700 trigger mod. report

Boyd Allen

I know that we live in a world of aftermarket triggers, and I have several, but after reading about the selection of trigger springs that a fellow who calls his e-business Ernie the Gunsmith, I decided to do an upgrade on a safe queen just to see how it came out. The replacement spring cost me a little over $10, including shipping. I installed it on a clean older 700. The trigger had been previously been conservatively adjusted to 3#. After the spring replacement, again with conservative adjustment, it scaled at 1.5#. Color me happy. Don't touch your trigger if you don't really know what you are doing, but if you do, this is an upgrade that I can easily recommend. I believe that there are some other sources for lighter springs, but this is one that just happened to catch my eye. Looking over his web site, he seems to know what he is doing, with regard to pillar bedding. Who knows, the rifle may be getting a better (hopefully) bedding job.

Last edited:
Brownell's sells sets of springs, heavy and light, and one of the springs in the light set works great for a 700 trigger spring. A little cut and try and fiddling with the sear engagement and poundage screws and spring length will give 1.5 lb pull which works well for a live varmint rifle. As I remember there are two or three springs of each size (wire diameter, and spring diameter) per set.

I don't remember, because I threw everything away except the spring. I have worked on my own triggers for years, so I wasn't particularly interested in instructions. On the other hand, when I took my Jewel HVR apart, I made sure I had a drawing of the mechanism handy. I will tell you this. If you decide to do one, don't go too light on the engagement or trigger spring settings. If how it works isn't pretty obvious, after you have looked it over, and read something on the internet that explains and has drawings, hire it done. Better save than sorry.

Back