Remington 700 Trigger Dismount

antelopedundee

internet bum
When removing a trigger from a Remington 700 I found it handy to slip a clear plastic baggie over the trigger and action in order to catch that pesky spring that likes to fly away and hide. Also catches the bolt stop and mounting pin. I don't have a decent punch long enough to push the rear pin out so I use a brad nail with the head end to push it out.

That’s a great tip! Using a clear plastic baggie to catch small parts when working on something as intricate as a Remington 700 is brilliant. I’ve had my fair share of springs and pins flying across the room. The brad nail idea is clever as well, sometimes you just have to improvise when you don't have the perfect tool on hand. Thanks for sharing!

Is there a preferred direction to knock the pins out?
Do you knock them from left to right?
Or do you knock them from right to left?
Check to see which direction the pins go. The rear pin comes out first, tapping on the tapered end. I usually have them going in in opposite directions on installation. The front one goes in first and can go in either direction, but I have them going in opposite. All of mine are left hand so when it comes time to put the rear pin in you sort of have to assemble the spring and bolt stop first and start the pin and it's easier to start with the tapered end so that goes from right to left for me. Whichever you use, removal is in the opposite direction. Works the same whether or not you're mounting a Remington or any other trigger. If you're doing a RH trigger you would go left to right for the rear pin.
I expect the purist would have them go in the same direction.

I have a nailset that I use to start them moving, but not a proper size punch with sufficient length to get the pin out. A brad going in head first and tapped with a small hammer does a good job.
At Walmart in the arts and crafts you can buy a 36" x 1/8" dowel for 35 cents. You can cut short lengths with a knife and tap on the back of the knife with a hammer. A bit of work with some fine sandpaper and you can make some serviceable slave pins. I like to make sure that there are no sharp edges on the pins. Once you have everything ready to go you should be able to change one out in about 10 minutes.

Lots of YouTube videos about it, but I prefer to clamp the action snugly in a padded vise. Also I prefer to wear those blue or purple nitrile gloves as they fit tight and are non-slip. Also re-useable if you take them off carefully. You can buy them at Sam's for not too much money. Also work great when you're handling solvents and cleaning guns.

A pic of a trigger with self made pins. Of course with an aftermarket trigger you don't need slave pins. Also I'd posit that most folks removing a Remington trigger aren't replacing it with the same or different Remington trigger.

dbhz3wH.jpg

Last edited:
Would anyone have a pic of an older Remington 700 action that shows the slot that the safety lever slides into?

RaeCvx2.jpg

Found one in my basement.

y01YBBK.jpg

wBzFGDR.jpg

Last edited:
To reference a RH receiver-
Apply the safety to Safe position.
Tap the rear/aft pin from Right to Left.
Apply the safety to Fire position.
Remove the bolt stop torsion spring & bolt stop.
Tap the front/fwd pin from Right to Left.

The OEM 1/8" diameter pins have a leade/taper on one end for ease of installation.

The receiver has a punch mark @ 6o'clock to hold the pins in the receiver.

When installing,capture the bolt stop torsion spring & bolt stop in the receiver w/ the rear/aft pin prior to rotating the trigger group into the receiver.

Back