remington 700 SS finish

I"ve got three grits of alum. oxide two different glass beads, none are close. this friend want the brake to match the barreled action. in the past I just Teflon or cerakote whole gun, that what I get trying to help friends::rolleyes:

The medium glass beads match every one ive done exactly. I get mine from fastenal. Of course since its all stainless it wouldnt be bad at all to do the complete rig then itll match perfect

When using the AlOX you must scrub the blasted portion down with 1200grit wet-r-dry and kerosene/WD40 or the like to knock it into shape but a 70 grit finish can be scrubbed down quite quickly, the tops are knocked off, rounded off in minutes. Don't be gentle.... if you go too far just give it another squirt of sand and knock 'er back again...

I'm not sure that the newer Rem700 "stainless" action doesn't have some sort of gas carburized finish or something. It ain't raw "stainless" IMO. I haven't dared blast the action on a new one.

gundoc,

you might try playing with different air pressures with the glass beads. Has worked for me when trying to match a finish.

Mike

thanks to all, got some med. glass beads but finish seemed a little smooth so I mixed a little of my worn out alum. ox. with it and after the third try was happy with the match. Again thank you all

Back