remington 700 sps tactical .308

A

acaiati

hey guys i'm going to set up my sps .308 to shoot 600-700 yards, the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42SF MIL DOT is in my price range. I was looking into using the Burris Signature rings. the Burris 410593 bases and 420561 rings on this gun and scope combination. also Burris 626019 offset insert kit. The kit includes +- .005, .010, and .020 eccentrically. Using Hornady 168 TAP's Muzzel Vel. 2700... would this be a good start??? I would be shooting at targets, varmints, deer and coyotes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ammunition

hey guys i'm going to set up my sps .308 to shoot 600-700 yards, the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42SF MIL DOT is in my price range. I was looking into using the Burris Signature rings. the Burris 410593 bases and 420561 rings on this gun and scope combination. also Burris 626019 offset insert kit. The kit includes +- .005, .010, and .020 eccentrically. Using Hornady 168 TAP's Muzzel Vel. 2700... would this be a good start??? I would be shooting at targets, varmints, deer and coyotes...

Isn't Hornady TAP a defensive ammo? I'm not sure one bullet would cover all your criteria. For target I believe I'd use the 168 gr Hornady A-Max or 175 gr Hornady HPBT Match because they have the highest BC and will stabilize in a 1:10 twist, which I assume your Remington is. nhk

Remington barrel is 1/12 and will stabilize SMK 175s or Hornady 175/178s. This will be a good rig for your needs and will give you good service.

I thought 168 was one of the best grains for a .308, 175 sounds good, thank you for your help!:)

Use whatever ammo the target tells you to use. Accuracy first, then learn how to shoot. I use Hornady 168 BTHP ammo exclusivley in my 308 LE demo rifles. Good ammo. Reasonably priced.
I hate to say it but I'm getting used to pic rails and rings that look like cable clamps. You might look into a 20 MOA base.

Dave

Twist?

Remington barrel is 1/12 and will stabilize SMK 175s or Hornady 175/178s. This will be a good rig for your needs and will give you good service.

Are you sure about that (twist)? My (factory) Rem 700 is a 1:10.

Dave Tooley: What twist are you using? Do you trim the meplat or re-point? nhk

I run 1-12's unless somebody wants to go subsonic then 1-10 gives you more options. As in 208 AMax's. The 1-12 will work with 180's subsonic so that is pretty much the dividing/reference line.
A lot of people run 1-13's for 155's with great success.

Dave

Twist

I run 1-12's unless somebody wants to go subsonic then 1-10 gives you more options. As in 208 AMax's. The 1-12 will work with 180's subsonic so that is pretty much the dividing/reference line.
A lot of people run 1-13's for 155's with great success.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I assumed my Remington was a 1:12 when I bought it across the counter and found out it was 1:10 with a throat too long for 155 gr, which is what I wanted to shoot. I ended up using 168 gr A-Max seated to magazine length. nhk

If you're going to go the picatinny route, give the offering from Warne a look. I have been very happy with mine, and they are a bit cheaper than some of the others. It seems that if one slaps the title "tactical" on something, the price rises dramatically.

Hornady Tap is a defensive ammo, but the .308 168 grain bullet loaded in it is their A-MAX. Stated BC is .475 whereas the 168 BTHP MK is .462.

I had occasion to speak with the head honcho at the FBI ballistics lab the other day, specifically about the TAP ammo. He said it was the most accurate .308 ammo he had ever tested. I found that interesting...

For what its all worth,
Justin

Accurate ammo

Hornady Tap is a defensive ammo, but the .308 168 grain bullet loaded in it is their A-MAX. Stated BC is .475 whereas the 168 BTHP MK is .462.

I had occasion to speak with the head honcho at the FBI ballistics lab the other day, specifically about the TAP ammo. He said it was the most accurate .308 ammo he had ever tested.

Interesting, I wondered what they loaded in their TAP ammo since there wasn't a TAP for reloading. From the Hornady site: "Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game". I guess defensive targets are considered 'small game':) Do you know what platforms, twist rate(s) and barrel lengths the FBI tested the ammo on? Is this compared to other brands across multiple platforms? nhk

Interesting, I wondered what they loaded in their TAP ammo since there wasn't a TAP for reloading. From the Hornady site: "Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game". I guess defensive targets are considered 'small game':) Do you know what platforms, twist rate(s) and barrel lengths the FBI tested the ammo on? Is this compared to other brands across multiple platforms? nhk

nhk,

You'll note that Sierra says the same thing in regards to their MatchKings...don't hunt with them. Meaning, the bullet is not designed to perform on tissue. Despite this, LE continues to use this bullet for sniping where it will be asked to perform on tissue. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and a few others. The "others" have a voice in the ballistics/sniping community and expressed their opinions. Hornady and Black Hills (they load a 168 gr. A-MAX in .308) listened and produce ammo that contains a more suitable bullet.

I know the Bu used a Remington 700 rifle, and a test barrel set-up. Don't know about twist rates and such. I think it would be fair to say that they tested available ammunition that they deemed appropriate for the police sniper, to include Federal's Gold Medal Match. I realize it's only one test, but I was impressed that the TAP outshot Gold Medal Match as GMM is generally freaky accurate.

acaiati...sorry for the thread hijacking!

Justin

Why is this in the Gunsmiths Corner forum?

It belongs in General, or Factory/Hybrid rifles, unless only Gunsmiths reply to questions in this corner. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, you shouldn't be shooting at animals at such distances until you really KNOW what you're doing. Start with paper at 100y, and go from there.

Back