Remington 700 Serial Numbers

K

kansasvet

I have not bought a new Remington 700 for years. I noticed the local Walmart had 2 Remington 700 BDL's in .243 Win. and 30-06 for
$596 each, over $100 below current dealer. While examining them I noticed the Serial Numbers are at least twice as big as the older
serial numbers and started with RR.
Does anyone know if this is the way Remington is putting serial numbers on, or is it a special serial number for sales to Walmart?

ummmmm, this is how numbers work??

I mean, how do I say this...... every rifle I've ever bought has a larger serial number than those prior.....every time.

No, WalMart doesn't get their own run of rifles. They are the same rifles as everyone else sells.

Just cheaper.

It's business.

bigger=cheaper

al

edited (see below) op meant numbers were larger in size.

I know WalMart's guns are same as others' because I'm a dealer. I can't touch WalMart's pricing structure, but do have access to the same rifles.

Last edited:
I meant the overall height of the numbers, I could even read it easily without a magnifying glass.
I know you couldn't resist pointing out the obvious.

Thanks, you gave me the answer I needed.

Looks to me like they got a new machine to etch the numbers on faster than the roll stamping. Ive seen a few different ones over the last few years- even some with the QR code block on em

New to the forum need some help with finding what year my 700 was made

Hey guys. I am new to the forum, and have a question. I have looked at the remington society page and can not figure out for sure what year my Remington 700 BDL was made. the markings on the barrel are U Y 58. The Sn does not have any letters in it either. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Barrel numbers tell the year, not the serial number. I have the Remington hard back book, but it doesn't have the current barrel dates in it. The Remington Society should have the help that you need.

date made

Hey guys. I am new to the forum, and have a question. I have looked at the remington society page and can not figure out for sure what year my Remington 700 BDL was made. the markings on the barrel are U Y 58. The Sn does not have any letters in it either. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Are you sure that first letter is a u maybe an o? as that u isn't a good letter for the month,but the y shows 1974 which would probably be correct with no letter in front of your ser. number.

Are you sure that first letter is a u maybe an o? as that u isn't a good letter for the month,but the y shows 1974 which would probably be correct with no letter in front of your ser. number.

Yah Im pretty sure its a U that is why I was wondering because from what I had found it didnt fit with any of the months. Ok with knowing that they didnt have letters in front of the serial numbers pre 1975 narrows it down, that is the kind of knowledge that I was looking for. Thank you verry much

Back