Remington 700 in .338Lapua

P

PPP MMM

I've red elsewhere that apparently Remington is bringing out 700 with a .338LM chambering. Any thoughts on that?

Shoot well
Peter

makes my shoulder hurt to even think about that one!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the stupidest thing Remington has done to date...

... here they had a perfect opportunity to build a slightly larger version of the 700 action, using a 700 style extractor, keeping the "3 rings of steel" integrity, making a far superior action for the Lapua case, making a detachable magazine... the whole ball of wax..... and they cheapened out by altering an existing 700 action...

They could have really marketed a new true "Magnum" action... and now they are competing with better actions for the job at hand...

Remington has had ad's for a law enforcement only 338 Lapua in some of our trade magazines for many months. The big Lapua was touted on Remington's Law Enforcement website but when I just now checked it to add a link........the .338 L is no where to be found.... I hadn't checked for six months or so and none of our distributor have had stock that I'm aware of.

This showed up two years ago at the Shot Show in Orlando in an unfinished rifle. Evey once in a while it's brought up again. I've not seen anything to say they've even produced it yet. I think this was a case of putting the cart before the horse. I hope they went back to the drawing board on this one. With new ownership that maybe what's happened.

Dave

338 Lapua

Remington is in fact making the 338 Lapua on their 700 action and they are for sale in the custom shop. Some dealers have recieved some already. They are selling for around the $900-$1100 retail range is what I hear. Bottom line is don't be afraid of the remington 700 in 338 lapua as I have built one for myself and if you buy some Seekins bottom metal it will work without incident. His detachable box mag is 3.900" in length so you can chamber the 300 matchkings. In addition, when the 700 is used in this capacity, the "three rings of steel" are still there. The counter bore has to be opened up from .750" to .785" to accomadate the m16 extractor that is installed to work like a sako. Lastly, and I know where this will go, the 700 action is strong enough to handle the 338 Lapua.
I also, made one for Remington L&M division last summer, through Rock Creek barrels. I do believe this is where it all started.

I go with Dennis,,,,,,, bad choice

If this is true and there are already "factory" made 700/.338LMs in use, to me it's like a two seater sportscar and family of five. They all can be crammed in and taken from A to B.

Shoot well
Peter

Anyone contemplating this should...

read Dan Lilja's article on using the extra large sized magnums in Remington 700 actions. I'd stay away from installing a .338 Lapua in a Remington 700 as there just isn't enough margin for safety. I had a customer blow a primer in a .338 Lapua in a Bat M action with 1 1/8" barrel thread. I had to remove the barrel to get the case out of the chamber. When the barrel was reinstalled, the clocked brake was about an 1/8 of a turn off. The action didn't have a problem, but I believe that the threads on the 416 barrel had stretched just a little.

I've red elsewhere

That apparently some people already have'd received them. 700 26"/10" including a 1.5" long inbuilt muzzle break.

Shoot well
Peter

*bump*

Looks like I'll have one available for me to buy next week- I'm pretty excited about it, but I also want to make sure it is a good purchase.. Has anyone heard anything new on these now that Remington is making them again?

Back