Remington 700 gunsmith

R

Ripcord

If this has been covered before, please excuse the repetition. I am looking for the best Remington 700 gunsmith to blueprint my 700 VSS in .308, bedding, bolt work, etc - the whole package to tweak my rifle. Any suggestions are appreciated!

One of the best

If this has been covered before, please excuse the repetition. I am looking for the best Remington 700 gunsmith to blueprint my 700 VSS in .308, bedding, bolt work, etc - the whole package to tweak my rifle. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Bob Brackney in Arizona. (928) 684-3255

Gary

Holland Gunsmithing

hollandguns.com Darrel Holland is a master gunsmith and does most any type work on the 700 from truing actions,bedding jobs and custom rifles.
I have several of his teaching videos from AGI.

Greg Tannel

Nothing wrong at all with Al & Dan Warner but Tannel is the remington smith (and anything else). Most gunsmiths use his tooling and methods to accurize 700s

You may wish to concider Mike Bryant.
Check out his web page for a perspective of
his ability and quality of work.

DanO

700 Accuracy Work

Check out R.W Hart--they have a special package for the 700.

i would say any smith that took pride in his work and used greg tannel's tooling would do a good job for you.

All you probably need is a new barrel and proper bedding job, trigger group..... your factory VSS barrel probably has a country mile of freebore and eccentric chamber/bore. The whole blueprinting thing on a 700 is a waste of time in my opinion. (sorry guys). Focus on the barrel.

I wouldn't say you need the best gunsmith to do this well, just a good one.

Last edited:
i would say any smith that took pride in his work and used greg tannel's tooling would do a good job for you.

I could kind of take offense at that statement. Are you saying in order to take pride in my work I need to use the Gretan tooling?

I don't use it and I don't think it necessary and I still have pride in doing a job well.

Jim

The amount of work that you do on a Remington action would depend on what your intended use is and your accuracy goal. If you need a .308 for some definite reason, then stay with that, but these days, there are some interesting choices that you may want to pursue, if you are going with a new barrel. As far as a full house action treatment goes, I have a friend that has a custom barreled, well bedded 6BR (slow twist for varmint and BR bullets) that is amazing. Bob Brackney did the work. BTW a couple of years ago Bob won the Calif. State four gun title using all Remington actions that he had sleeved. This is not to say that the other smiths mentioned above could not do a fine job, it is just that, knowing Bob ,and his work, I have no need to look elsewhere for a Remington smith. If you will tell us more about what you intend to do with the finished rifle, we can give more specific advice. As has already been said, your biggest gain will come from a better barrel, and I will add, chamber design.

Are you "tweaking" a factory rifle without installing a new barrel?

If you are I would suggest having the action bedded, the barrel floated, the trigger adjusted to 2 pounds, a new crown and shoot it.

If you are having a new barrel installed, that is the time to work the action. Don't waste it on a factory barrel which would have to be refitted...

i didint say you had to use gre tan tooling to have pride in your work, but if you are blue printing a rem action and dont have the right tools for the job you are not going to blue print the action the right way and in fact you could make the action junk, i will reword what i said. if you take pride in your work and have the right tooling then you can get a good job by any smith.

petty stuff

Kregg, i read your previous post and understood the point you were trying to get across. guess the "pride" word is what really tripped up the other fellow. by the way does your record still stand for the longest witnessed pd kill in VHA history?
guess if one got anally technical really what was being said; is that the gunsmith must be one that pays attention to accuracy and small detail in machining practice. also he must have accurate and well made jigs for tooling. there that should satisfy the technical junkies.
just another grumpy senior citizen, Greg Moyer

Back