Remington 700 From Custom Shop

5R Remingtons

I hear a lot of "range talk" about these guns. The talk revolves around these guns coming from the Custom Shop and the barrels coming from a custom barrel maker. You used to hear the same thing about 700P rifles which are really just Varmint grade barreld actions with a different HS Precision stock and a bead blased finish.

These 5R guns are just a non-catalogued item and are made with Remington barrels and are production line produced.

George

custom shop

I have a 40-X in 22-250 from custom shop left side of reciver is 066XXXB on left side of barrel is letter G on top of barrel is REMINGTON CUSTOM SHOP ILION NY don't know date of mfg. But it will shoot in the .3"s

Last edited by a moderator:
I will share with you that I had the opportunity to spend time with the Remington employees in their Custom Shop. The employees that work there are solid upstanding modest individuals that could be your friend or mine. They take pride in their work and to use the term used by others, "fine Americans". They are local residents of the State of New York. They are the guys that wait all year for part of their two week vacation in the hopes that they have a chance to go deer hunting or fishing. They were strangers to me prior to my visit, but gained my respect during my visit. They don't boast or make any claims about their work, only that they will do the best they can. I would hope that anyone who has a problem with a Remington product, especially a Custom Shop product, that they try to give the guys a call and give them a chance to make things right. Also remember that they are employees of a large corporation who ultimately control the quality of the product sold to the general public. Admittedly, some of the mass produced products have sometimes left something to be desired. Thanks, Peter.

Peter

Could you estimate how many barrels they chamber and fit in the Custom Shop each week?

How many actions do you think they true every month?

How many actions do they bed in their fine stocks every year?

Thank you.

John, The experience that I had was with four rifles. Two of these were production line products and two were 700P rifles that had issues. They were all corrected by the Custom Shop. To try to answer your question of time frame, mine were all back within two weeks or less. One barrel was lapped and on three they replaced the entire barrels & actions. The two 700P's were made in the custom shop. While I was there I saw about 5 employees in the custom shop working on rifles. There was also a man who just did engraving. The machine tools were running and the men bustling. It may benefit everyone to know that the Custom Shop is an entirely seperate part of the factory. The actions and some other parts may come from the assembly line, but the barrels and some stocks on custom shop rifles are made in the custom shop. The barrels are button rifled, not hammer forged. I saw the machines and watched as they lapped one of their barrels. I don't know specifically how many rifles they bed per day or per week. They may not make the finest rifles in the world. I do think they are capable of making good ones, perhaps not of benchrest quality. I never saw any claims on their part about this. I also think that some warranty issues, like mine are corrected through the Custom Shop. I certainly am not an expert on their shop, but I think that it is ony fair to give them a shot at making things right the same as any other vendor or gunsmith. I am not so sure that the rifle discussed in earlier posts was a Custom Shop rifle, but again a phone call could answer this. Thanks, Peter.

Back