remington 700 factory barrel removal

skeetlee

I have a couple rem 700 factory actions and i am wanting to take the factory barrels off the actions. I have heard that this can be a bear! Is there any tricks you fellas could pass on to me? Can i do this with my davidson barrel vise and my rem 700 rear entry action wrench, or is there a bit more to it than that? I have also heard that you can twist the action doing this if your not carefull? I have not ever tried to do this before and i wanted to get some ideas before i vise them up. thanks Lee

It can be a bit tricky at times but usually easy enough to do. Your davidson rig probably wont get you out and forget the rear entry wrench. What you need is a bench mounted barrel vice with some split barrel bushings and a wraparound wrench for your Remmy action with a split made from aluminium or brass. I made mine but dont have any photos to add to the post, perhaps some of the other members might have some pics to add.

just scroll down a little and look for the post that has your answer......

mike in co

Some come off easy, some hard. Took one off last winter that my 600 ft/lb air wrench wouldn't break it loose. It took a truck driver friends 900 ft/lb air wrench and then it started turning slow for 2-3 turns. Most take about 150-250 ft/lb to break loose though.

Skeelee,
I have been using a big action wrench from Brownell's. the barrel vise is a Hart with some powdered rosin applied to the barrel before clamping. Most of the barrels come of with just hitting the action wrench handle with the heel of your hand. If I can't get it off then I hit the handle with a 4lb plastic deadblow hammer. I have never had one that I could not remove using this method.
Boe

Last edited:
thanks fellas i will just let Jon take it off for me. I dont want to buy any special wrenches as i dont do this very often. Thanks again! Lee

I havent been reading the post much this week mike so i didnt even see the topic down there. this heat has me wooped, and in bed pretty early! Thanks again! Lee

Last edited:
A bit of heat to soften the thread locker Remington used on some of their actions will help. I like the Brownells action wrench that indexes on the recoil lug. I find I don't have to clamp the action down so hard that it actually constricts the threads. The recoil lug takes some of the turning force and helps to "break" the action free.

Back