Remington 700 Bottom Metal

Jay Cutright

Will the bottom metal from a rifle with a detachable magazine fit the BDL stock?
I found a deal on a stock from a 700 PSS and I'm looking to buy a donor rifle to build on this winter, I just need to know if I have to buy a rifle with a hinged floor plate or will one with a detachable magazine work too?

The short version is no they are not the same. With a little modification you can get the bottom metal from a detachable magazine to fit but you have to also cut the sides of the stock to allow for the magazine release. The bigger issue is with the action itself. A standard ADL/BDL action is different from a detachable magazine action. The detachable box magazine action (DBM) has been opened up (feed lips removed) to allow the magazine lips to protrude thru high enough for the bolt to catch the cartridge. If you try to use a standard ADL/BDL action on a detachable box setup the bolt will not reliably catch the cartridge. You will have to get a gunsmith to open up the magazine area (machine off the feed lips) to allow the detachable box magazine to protrude thru properly. Been there done that.....I would recommend purchasing a standard ADL/BDL donor rifle if you intend to use a standard BDL floorplate. If you like the DBM setup then buy a donor rifle in that configuration. It is much easier to modify the stock then the action. If the stock is already a DBM style then the sides already have the cutout for the magazine box and would look funny if used with a standard BDL floorplate (IMO).

I hope this helps.....I am not very good explaining things like this.

Kris Whitman

The stock I bought is set up for a hinged floor plate. I was hoping the DBM metal would be a drop in installation deal so I could use a DBM rifle for a donor. I forgot about the mag. release being located where it is. I'm glad I asked.
Thanks...Jay

Jay, just get you H-S Precision detachable magazine/trigger guard assembly. It will work with a 700 BDL rifle and no alteration is necessary to the feed rails.

I saw those parts in Brownells catalog, I just wasn't going to spend the extra money when I could get a Remington donor with all the right parts for a lot less money than buying a conversion kit. The H-S parts do look like high quality parts.
I am probably going to get a BDL rifle and get going with this thing and convert it later if I feel I just have to have a detachable magazine. The hole idea of this is to have a tactical/varmint rifle to refit some of the barrels after I've shot them out in BR. With the many options of calibers that I have I will probably be better off having the floor plate, I dont know how well the 6BR/BRX etc. will feed through the DBM.

Last edited:
Back