Remington 581 question?

G

Gary O

A friend of mine showed up at the range yesterday with a beat up Remington 581 bolt 22 rifle. It has a decent trigger. Problem is: the bolt comes all the way out of the receiver when you pull it back during the normal functioning of the gun. My friend showed me a small hole in the stock where his dad used to stick a small finishing nail to keep the bolt from being withdrawn too far.
My question is: does this seem like a bolt stop issue to you folks? Or what? What say you? Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, absolutely

A friend of mine showed up at the range yesterday with a beat up Remington 581 bolt 22 rifle. It has a metal 10 round magazine and a decent trigger. Problem is: the bolt comes all the way out of the receiver when you pull it back during the normal functioning of the gun. My friend showed me a small hole in the stock where his dad used to stick a small finishing nail to keep the bolt from being withdrawn too far.
My question is: does this seem like a bolt stop issue to you folks? Or what? What say you? Thanks...

But it could be as simple as a CLEANING issue. I have seen so many older firearms that are "broken" "non-functional" that are just DIRTY as to be revolting. Most Remington bolt release are trigger involved and I would make book that it has never been truly cleaned. A bit of lighter fluid, time, and compressed air may well be a solution to the issue.

David

They are similar to the M540 in that the bolt stop is a pin in the front of the trigger group. The pin rounds off, the groove in the bolt wears, or someone has messed with the trigger pull and reduces the pressure on the pin.

Any of you folks know where I can find bolt disassemble instructions? Thanks...

Last edited:
Back