Remington 541THB potential

B

BRKHornet

I recently picked up a very nice low mileage 541THB and on it's first range session discovered it has some potential. While It's very finicky on ammo, Wolf MT seems to work rather well. I'm a bit concerned though about consistancy, the rifle just seems to be extra tender on pressure points on the bags and hold. I replaced the factory magazine which was unusable as is w/ a model 77 from Midway which really smoothened things up and fits much better. The Bolt is plenty stiff in operation although as I stated this rifle is more or less out of the box. Is there a way to loosen things up a bit? I understand Brian Voelker does some really nice things to these Remingtons...How pricey is the "full" treatment? Any other hints on making this rifle a consistant solid shooter would be apprecaited.
thanks,
BRKHornet

I would recommend contacting Brian and get prices from him. He can do some good things to improve accuracy. You are looking at a custom barrel, a trigger job and a benchrest specific stock to make it competitive. The 541 in the early days of 50/50 was the dominant sporter action but the trigger was the weak point. Brian and other gunsmiths are able to get it down to around 6-8 oz but compared to the Jewel which can go down a low as 1 oz, the 6-8 oz is quite heavy. When the Sako Finnfire was discovered by benchresters and the Cooper rifle was OK'd for shooting in 50/50, the 541 kinda faded away. The ability of the Sako and Cooper to use Jewel triggers did it in. A friend of mine has a Voelker smithed 541 S and it is a mid to high 240's capable rifle. Unfortunately a mid to high 240's rifle doesn't place very well anymore. The 541 is a nice rifle, I had one but sold it to buy a Sako. You could do a lot worse than the 541.

Steve,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
BRKHornet

I had one years ago. It was a good shooting rifle. 1/2in or slightly better for 5 shot groups at 50yds with good ammo like Eley, Wolf, or the old Federal 900. The 541S rifles were said to be more accurate and shoot in the .3's or .4's with good ammo. I've heard of some guys shooting some groups in the .2's with them, but I don't know if that was after Brian Volker worked on them or not. I know he is the 541 master at making these rifles shoot even better. I think you can by some CZ rifles that will shoot about as good as the 541THB. But the 541 model rifles are very nice guns, and are sure to keep going up in value especially the 541S rifles.

Brad

To answer your question about price to get a 541 tweaked up, and I don't want to tell you how to spend your hard earned money. I think you would be better off buying a 40x, Suhl, older Anschutz 54, or maybe a Win 52D than to sink about $500-$600 in a 541 trying to make it shoot better. You would be money ahead. I doubt that anyone regardless of who smithed it could make a 541 shoot better than a original factory barrel Suhl. It would take a miracle to do so. That's based on my experience of owning both rifles. The same goes for the 40X. I've shot 2 of them, and both shot excellent.

Brad, thanks for the comments & info. My best so far was a .375 CTC group of 5 w/ Wolf MT and a 4.5-14 scope @ 50 yds. While i believe the rifle has more in the tank, I'm certainly aware this could be a money hole. Barrel & stock would eat $500 alone so perhaps it's best to move the gun and on to something more BR oriented to start with. In fact, I know of a Very nice Sako Varmint for very fair price.....Anyone interested in a very low mileage Remmy with box & papers at fair price??
BRKHornet

Back