Remington 541T for benchrest

S

stevenorlando

Hello All!

Does anyone use a Remington 541T for benchrest?

Steve

541t

yes, in sporter with a 6 power luppy scope for r.b.a.

Steve

I purchased a Rem 541X from a member on this site, that was Smithed by Brian Voelker. I HIGHLY recommend you to send it to Brian for a going over. The work that was done includes trigger job (truely amazeing) threaded the reciever, rechamber (match), recrown, pillar/glass bed and added a second action screw (bolt). I talked to Brian about 3 weeks ago about another rifle and he said he was 3-4 months out but I would definately wait just to have him do another rifle. I am awestruck how well it shoots with Eley match EPS (black box) 1073 fps.

I purchased a Rem 541X from a member on this site, that was Smithed by Brian Voelker. I HIGHLY recommend you to send it to Brian for a going over. The work that was done includes trigger job (truely amazeing) threaded the reciever, rechamber (match), recrown, pillar/glass bed and added a second action screw (bolt). I talked to Brian about 3 weeks ago about another rifle and he said he was 3-4 months out but I would definately wait just to have him do another rifle. I am awestruck how well it shoots with Eley match EPS (black box) 1073 fps.

Any contact info?

Steve

Correction!

Brians contact info. Brian Voelker 2878 170th AVE. Ryan, Iowa 52330 phone # 1-319-932-2570

Correction!

The area code is 563, otherwise the # is the same!

I called him today, and he sent me a price list, however, he is backed up till July.

Steve

Steve

It's worth the wait. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another Smith to do it any sooner, but that's up to you. I thought the area code looked odd :eek: that's a Waterloo Ia. code (relatives).

I have a Voelker Match 541t was invoiced 09-29-09. The only blue wear is on the bolt were it was cycled & the stock has no dents ,chips or finish wear.Comes w/ 2- 5 shot & 1 -10 shot clips. Have the Voelker paper work. Barrel is stamped "Voelker Match ".Super clean rifle.I put 2 boxes thru it & put it the cabinet.Want a Anschutz 2013, so I'm selling this and a Jim Williams #10 plus 52d. Any interest ?

Here's my "Low Budget Benchrest Rifle" as I fondly refer to it as. Brian Voelker did the metal work and pillar bedded the stock but I have to take credit for hacking up and painting the original birch 541X stock several years ago. I have to say that Brian did a great job on metal and bedding work and I had him install an overtravel and adjustment screw in the stock non-adjustable trigger from a broken adjustable trigger that I had. The trigger was around 10oz when I sent it to him and now it breaks consistently at 6oz which I consider pretty good for something that wasn't designed to go that low. However, I always try to keep in mind that although this rifle shoots very well considering what it is, it will most likely never keep up with the big boys shooting much higher priced custom BR rigs. Although, I may shoot some matches with it this summer (if they'll have me) just to get my feet wet actually shooting against other competitors.

The target is my best USBR target to date but at this point is not the norm for me or the rifle. I'm still learning the wind part and have yet to buy test lots of Eley Match to find one that this rifle prefers over the others. I may also invest in a Harrell's tuner so I can add more weight or a slider to it. However at this point I think it may be best to just enjoy shooting it as is until I can afford a real BR gun that's built on a more suitable action. Then I may convert the 541X to a sporter just to see what happens.

Remingotn541XVoelkerMatch.jpg
[/IMG]

USBR_2477X_080409_R.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Competitive???

Yes and No. That target doesn't score as high as a IR50/50 target, but you most likely wouldn't finish last. You've got to start somewhere, and that 541X seems to be a good starter. Even ARA, you would be at least be in the middle of the pack. Win a National Championship. NO.

Here's my "Low Budget Benchrest Rifle" as I fondly refer to it as. Brian Voelker did the metal work and pillar bedded the stock but I have to take credit for hacking up and painting the original birch 541X stock several years ago. I have to say that Brian did a great job on metal and bedding work and I had him install an overtravel and adjustment screw in the stock non-adjustable trigger from a broken adjustable trigger that I had. The trigger was around 10oz when I sent it to him and now it breaks consistently at 6oz which I consider pretty good for something that wasn't designed to go that low. However, I always try to keep in mind that although this rifle shoots very well considering what it is, it will most likely never keep up with the big boys shooting much higher priced custom BR rigs. Although, I may shoot some matches with it this summer (if they'll have me) just to get my feet wet actually shooting against other competitors.

The target is my best USBR target to date but at this point is not the norm for me or the rifle. I'm still learning the wind part and have yet to buy test lots of Eley Match to find one that this rifle prefers over the others. I may also invest in a Harrell's tuner so I can add more weight or a slider to it. However at this point I think it may be best to just enjoy shooting it as is until I can afford a real BR gun that's built on a more suitable action. Then I may convert the 541X to a sporter just to see what happens.

Remingotn541XVoelkerMatch.jpg
[/IMG]

USBR_2477X_080409_R.jpg
[/IMG]
Hey, Pat. I've seen that target before but not the picture of the rifle. That is a nice looking rifle. It is competitive too. Barry

Back