Remington 20x BR scope

J

jump82

anyone out there that can give me any info on a Remington 20X BR scope

These were made by Remington for their 40X bench rest rifles in the early 70's. They were designed to be mounted on the receiver, as opposed to the receiver and barrel. Remington made them in very limited quantities in both 20x and 24x. They are excellent scopes with excellent optics.
Steve

FWIW

According to an old PS article about Mike Walker (Mr. Remington) that I just reread these scopes were one of his projects and there were approximately 500 to 700 of these made in the custom shop. They were externally adjustable and apparently used Unertyl mounts. Only 3 prototype scopes were made with internal adjustments.

jump82

Howdy!
I have not seen one of these scopes for sale in a while. I have seen some on ebay periodically sell in the $800 range, but that was a couple of years ago. Don't know how much they sell for now.

Based upon what PWNolan said about there being only 500-700 of them made in the Remington custom shop, one would think that at some time they would become quite collectible.

I was told a long time ago that if I wanted a really good 40x, to buy an old one. That the guys who made the early ones were more particular about their quality than the folks making them at the time. This was from an SF sniper I worked with in 1991-92 when I was stationed at Fort Bragg. (Nope, I am not a sniper!) I believe he was talking about rifles from the custom shop when Mike Walker was there. That, obviously would the time period that these scopes were made in the custom shop. I wish I could afford one of those scopes to go on my 40x from that time period that I eventually ended up with. One of these days........

Jump82......interesting name. Have you, by any chance, ever been around Fort Bragg?:D:D

Greg

Greg...

Howdy!
I have not seen one of these scopes for sale in a while. I have seen some on ebay periodically sell in the $800 range, but that was a couple of years ago. Don't know how much they sell for now.

Based upon what PWNolan said about there being only 500-700 of them made in the Remington custom shop, one would think that at some time they would become quite collectible.

I was told a long time ago that if I wanted a really good 40x, to buy an old one. That the guys who made the early ones were more particular about their quality than the folks making them at the time. This was from an SF sniper I worked with in 1991-92 when I was stationed at Fort Bragg. (Nope, I am not a sniper!) I believe he was talking about rifles from the custom shop when Mike Walker was there. That, obviously would the time period that these scopes were made in the custom shop. I wish I could afford one of those scopes to go on my 40x from that time period that I eventually ended up with. One of these days........

Jump82......interesting name. Have you, by any chance, ever been around Fort Bragg?:D:D

Greg

buy a Unertl in good condition and don't look back! --Greg

20x Remington

Few years back I happened to be at the right place with some spare cash in hand and picked up this 20x Remington.

DSC02878.jpg

Information has been sparse and many stories are about on-line which leaves lots of room for speculation as to the amount and years of production. I had found an article on the Remington Home page which had some solid facts and history of the Remington produced scopes.

Capt.RJM

Man, that would look nice on my original civie 40X, right now it has a Redfield 6400 24X mounted, which is period for the rifle, but this would be even better. New mission to find one. Thanks, Douglas

Back