Rem 700

Contagious

Can get a magnum fluted barrel for my 700 30/06 for cheap. It's a new take off ,will I need to change the bolt also? what is involved ?

Thanks

Yep

Magnum bolt fitted up from the old bolt dia. dimensions and headspace gauges for the new chamber if yer lucky thread her up and see if the headspace comes out correctly. If it does not you will have to have the barrel tenon fitted up by a smith.:cool:

The gun is 30/06 ,just trying to upgrade the barrel for not a lot of money. Can I use the old 06 bolt on the magnum barrel, or need to upgrade the bolt as well?

Your posts are not very clear. So you are saying that the rifle is currently a 30-06, is the magnum barrel a 30-06? If so your bolt will work fine with the new barrel, however it will need to be checked for proper headspace and may, or may not need to be set back or possibly have the chamber recut. You will need to take it to a gunsmith to have the old barrel removed, the new one installed and the headspace checked. Before buying the barrel check to see what this will cost - the new barrel may end up costing more than you think.

drover

Last edited:
Yes the gun is currently chambered in 30/06,I was just going to replace the barrel with a a s/s, magnum, fluted,1 in 10 twist new take off barrel. Can get the barrel for 150,and yes i know I will have to have the head space checked and set.Just wasn't sure if there was any differance in the bolt face on my standard 700 vs magnum bolt face that would cause any problems. Thanks for the help, my thinking is that ,the barrel should be a little better than what I have now,and at the same time while I have the action out,replace the stock with a better one .Should have a better gun for not a lot of dough. Not a match shooter,but a little nicer shooting gun for four or five hunderd bucks.While I have it apart ,bed it and float the barrel with the new stock.A long story short,just wanted to make sure there is not a problem mixing the mag barrel with the standard bolt.!!

Thanks again Greg.!!

ps; The gun already shoots better than i can.!!! Lol

"Just wasn't sure if there was any differance in the bolt face on my standard 700 vs magnum bolt face that would cause any problems"

I am still confused. You refer to the fact that your rifle is a 30/06 then you refer to a magnum bolt face. Where does the magnum bolt face come into play in this scenario? Is the new "magnum" barrel chambered for 30/06 or are you buying a barrel that is currently chambered in a magnum caliber to rechamber to 30/06?

When you say "magnum" barrel are you referring to the contour as being a "magnum" contour or are you referring to its current chambering. If it is a magnum then what caliber is it chambered in? If your rifle is a 30/06 and the "magnum" barrel is 30/06 you will have no problem outside of checking and, if necessary, correcting head space

drover

I'm sorry for being hard headed and thank you for your understanding.!!! The new barrel is in fact a magnum contour,and is already chambered in 30/06.So you have answered my question. and yes I was confussed between the magnum action and magnum contour. Life is not easy when your ignorant.!!! Lol But i'm not afraid to ask question's, even though i my appear to be ignorant ,to gain a little knowledge. Shooting all my life , new to trying to make a better gun.!! It's good to know ones limit's,That's why I ask before I act.! Thanks for the help "drover" !!

Last edited:
Buying/trading might be something to consider. Your current rifle would probably be worth more unaltered. IMNTBHO!

If you are not doing your own work it will cost as much to chamber and fit a "factory or takeoff" barrel
as it will a premium barrel.
I have had stuff like that done, it has never been a bargain in the end.

Jerry,

Like John S. said DO NOT pay more than $50.00 for the barrel. Now we are all assuming the barrel is a Remington factory barrel from some unknown to us source. Is that correct? Or is it is a custom barrel from one of the many quality barrel makers? It so, then that is an all together different situation, and it may well be worth the $150.00. Especially if it has been fired very little, and upon bore scoping appears to be in fine condition and you know who the maker is. What's the deal?

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

It is a remington unfired s/s fluted, magnum barrel,already chambered for the 30/06, with the 1/10 twist,24". I was already going to put a differant stock on the gun,and thought the barrel would be a cut above the standard barrel ,that has a few hundred rounds through it.Not trying to have a match grade shooter,just a little better gun for playing around the house with.The only cost ,beyound the barrel ,should be mounting and checking the headspace. This one will be used for hunting some and a little target shooting(only out to 2-3 hundred yards)Hope to have a nice shooter in a couple of years,will not be this gun. Thanks.!!

Back