Rem. 700 5 digit serial number

D

Dennis Sorensen

I just bought an original 700 ADL 20 inch barrel 30-06 serial #80,XXX. It has the "clip" cutout on the rear bridge and an aluminum butt plate.

I can not figure out Remington's coding for date of manufacture.... ???

I looked at the chart and it does not help me at all.

Left side of barrel has the marks 5 - W - K, the right side has REP - some kind of a squiggle and a - G in a rounded triangle.

The bore is excellent. I don't know what to do with this... I might just make it into my hunting rifle...

Is it a deluxe??

I just bought an original 700 ADL 20 inch barrel 30-06 serial #80,XXX. It has the "clip" cutout on the rear bridge and an aluminum butt plate.

I can not figure out Remington's coding for date of manufacture.... ???

I looked at the chart and it does not help me at all.

Left side of barrel has the marks 5 - W - K, the right side has REP - some kind of a squiggle and a - G in a rounded triangle.

The bore is excellent. I don't know what to do with this... I might just make it into my hunting rifle...

..What kinda stock?? If factory....neat gun!!

pf
<><

Plain stamped checkering adl stock... it's all factory, it doesn't look like it has been out of the wood before... and never in rain... lots of bruises on the wood though.

I am pretty sure it is first year production... I am going to set up and measure and document run out, etc when
I have the barrel off. Just for interests sake.

This early adl does not have the magazine box screwed to the action. The action is not tapped for it and the box does not have the attaching flange on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
But a very complicated dating chart that make no sense to me..

If they didn't produce 80,000 700's in 1962, this will be a 1963.

I have contacted Remington and they will respond shortly.

Sept 25th - I just received a reply from Remington...

"Thank you for contacting Remington. On some of our older models we do not have records that go back that far. However; we were able to tell that your 700 was made somewhere between 1962-1963. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything further.

No arguements there..

...I have another email buddy where we have been trying to determin if a 722 in 222 rem mag is original he just purchased. The checkering LPI is way to fine for me to believe but remmy is saying the custom shop might be in this and cannot confirm 100%.

Kinda like trying to prove transition models on pre 64's...it gets complicated and the more the value the more you have to be weary....and add the custom shop here too and even more confusing.

Sounds like a neat gun...I like those old remmy's. I just sold a cool ADL Deluxe in 222 rem mag.

pf
<><

date on your rifle

Dennis,according to my book it was made in aug. 1963,and the 5 referes to an employee sale?The barrel dates don't always match the year the receiver was made,but pretty close

I bought a 7mag serial # 25XXX a few years ago to do a custom build, called Remington they confirmed it was a 1962 model first year of the 7mag,,,,,,,,,chop,cut rebuild,,,, now its a 7mmSTW and no I never looked back or felt bad about what I did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Arrrghhh.....

I bought a 7mag serial # 25XXX a few years ago to do a custom build, called Remington they confirmed it was a 1962 model first year of the 7mag,,,,,,,,,chop,cut rebuild,,,, now its a 7mmSTW and no I never looked back or felt bad about what I did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

....I hope it was not mint!!

I love the old 700 & 722 but they need to be all original and in minty condition. They are so much more cool than the current wood ADL & BDL.

pf

Dennis, take a look at the pic and it might make sense. I have one here in 7mm Rem Mag stainless, also with the exact same markings and cutout, #811XX.
By my guess is was made in Aug 63 like yours. Here's a question, is this action stainless? Its been refinished and a magnet can't tell any difference on known CM vs SS barrels.

Attachments

• Rem barrel code dating.jpg
    Rem barrel code dating.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 333
Trigger?

Dennis,

Does the old 700 have a one piece or two piece sear? I had an old one, clip slot, that had a 2 pc. sear block but did have a 700 safety lever.

Dennis, take a look at the pic and it might make sense. I have one here in 7mm Rem Mag stainless, also with the exact same markings and cutout, #811XX.
By my guess is was made in Aug 63 like yours. Here's a question, is this action stainless? Its been refinished and a magnet can't tell any difference on known CM vs SS barrels.

I don't believe any of the old actions were stainless... only a few of the magnum barrels I think...

Dennis,

Does the old 700 have a one piece or two piece sear? I had an old one, clip slot, that had a 2 pc. sear block but did have a 700 safety lever.

Two piece sear... and a nice safety.

old%20700%20safety.jpg

Back