Rem 541X Magazine conversion

Roger T

Is it possible to convert a 541X to use 513 magazines. I'm having issues with some of the factory 541X mags (polymer)and wish to change to the metal 513s

Roger,

I remember reading on this forum that sombody, somewheres, makes metal magazines for the 541X. Might want to do a search or maybe somebody around here will remember who was making the metal magazines and chime in.

I feel your pain. I have a 541T and the plastic magazines are complete rubbish.

Justin

Are the steel 513 mags available to purchase.
If memory servers me correctly,a channel shaped piece needs to be attached to the aft end of the 513 mag w/ a latch cut to facilitate use in a 541.
It's been a few years since I modified a batch.
I might have a 1/2 dozen new modified steel 513 mags for 514 use.

Dan that's kinda what I was thinking . Either transfer (if possible) the 513s latch/mag assembly to the 541 or modify the 513 mag to fit the 541. If you have some that may work or could do the mods I'd sure be gratefull. I've had 2 BRAND NEW mags go to pieces on me in the last month. Send me a PM or e-mail rtodalen@msn.com

There is a active discussion on Rimfire Central about this subject. Someone has made a small block to use the 513 mag latch and the mag it looks easy enough for "Do It Yourselfers" as there is a sketch. Might be a GOOD opportunity for some CNC people to make and sell as a package. I would luv to have 6 for my Remingtons.

Jim

Being that maybe 1 out of 4 of these factory magazines worked; a replacement would sell like hot cakes.

I have a friend that just loves his 541's and has more than 30 of the factory magazines.

I sold him my very accurate 541, because of this issue.

Maybe Brian Volker could comment on this issue.

Hey Brian I talking about Larry R.

Brian Voelker smithed this 541X (VERY ACCURATE) sporter. If I can get this mag issue fixed I'd be on cloud 9.

Last edited:
Plastic Mags

I looked over the conversion at RFC and looks like a good option but is non reversible if you cut the curve of the original mag guide/ejector. That piece is hard to come by.
The 10 round mags had issues and I have one here that I looked over. It appears that the glue bond at the left front top separated letting the follower come up a little further and the width changing. The follower should be level. Solder gun to melt plastic or proper glue to hold may fix issues. Or only put 5 rounds in it.
I have seen the 10 shot plastic mags self unload laying on shooting bench in the sun. I only use the 5 shot mags. Well, actually, I normally load one round at a time directly into the chamber!
BV

Back