Rem 37 Trigger Glitch

S

straightshooter

I have a new to me Model 37 mfr in June '40. The trigger has a quirk--if I work the bolt slowly and gently, the trigger let-off is around 2.5 lbs. If I work it hard and fast, it goes up to 4+ pounds.

Any thoughts on this? And, short of having a new Kenyon trigger or finding an old Canjar, can you recommend a gunsmith who might clean up the trigger for me?

Thx,

Just to let you know, I contacted Gene Davis a few weeks back about looking at my trigger and possibly replacing. He said he would do it, but he is backed up for the next years before he could possibly get to mine.
Bill

With the backlog in Gene's shop, I sent Butch Hongisto an e-mail to see what his situation might be---

37 Trigger glitch

I don't think you can go wrong having Butch look at your trigger. A couple of years I had Butch install a Border Barrell on my 37 and also asked him to look at my trigger. When I got it back it sure was sweet. I have had no trouble with it since...Slim:)

Soon as I get the shipping address, the rifle is off to Butch's shop. He projects a 2-week turn-around, and says he goes through the whole trigger mechanism in the process.

Butch'll Do You Good!

Straightshooter,
I don't think you'll ever regret sending your rifle to Butch!!!!
I have known Butch via e-mail and telephone for about four years and finally got to spend a few days visiting hime just last weekend. I have been impressed with his work on several rifles of mine and his honest and no BS attitude. Now after seeing him in action in his shop chambering rifles, etc. and at the range testing rifles and ammo, I'm that much more impressed.
I know there are other great gunsmiths out there (Gene being one of them).
Jim

PS
He really loves Rem 37's

37 Triggers

In the Golden Days of prone they would add a ball bearing for the bolt to glide on.
Don't ask me,I was a 52 guy. Remingtons till have the WWII had bad trigger problems. They PTL for Kenyon.

Thanks for referring me to Butch Hongisto for the trigger work.

Rifle's back home with a nice trigger. So nice, I haven't bothered to weigh it yet. Butch took it out to test fire it and the sear broke, so it took an extra week or so, but that's OK. His response about the sear tells me he's a stand-up guy. He said "Better it broke with me than with you."

Put my T36 on it and found out I need an extension ring on the rear, and need to cut about 2" off the front of the Viani mount so I can get the scope back to a comfortable position. I could cut 2" off the stock--but it's too nice to do that.

At any rate, I shot a few groups before it got too hot (5-shot, 25 yds) and was pleased with the results considering the scope mounting issue, my unfamiliarity with the rifle overall, and my skills. Groups ran from .128" for RWS to .54 with Rem Subsonics (.33" w/o a flyer). Also shot EPS at .36", Wolf ME at .281" and Club Extra at .205" and .278".

Got lots more ammo types to try, as well as learning how this rifle likes to sit on the bags (I still haven't begun to figure that out yet--same as with the wind flags).

Glad your 37 is back

straightshooter. Butch is the "smith" i recommend,i bought my 40x from him and it is sweet. i also got to spend time with him in his shop and it was a treat to watch a master at work. I consider him to be a super smith and a very good friend!
Colt.45

Back