Reloading Press Recommendations?

C

cn4433

Obviously this is not a new subject for this forum but I am not seeing what fits my weapon and shooting style. Bottom line is that I want to obtain EXTREME accuracy between 100 and 800 yard.
I have a Sako TRG-22, caliber .308 Winchester. I am strictly a target shooter. I shoot mainly from a benchrest or bipod. I have been reloading for many years but only for bulk ammunition.
I have a RCBS Reloader Special that I purchased in 1980 in excellent condition. My plan is to purchase either a Neil Jones FL Resizing Die or Redding Competition Resizing Die and a Wilson Stainless Steel Chamber Type Micrometer Seater Hand Die or Redding Competition Micrometer Bullet Seater. The reloading press will be used at home on a sturdy work bench.
So any suggestions on a reloading press or presses I should purchase?

I have a RCBS Reloader Special that I purchased in 1980 in excellent condition. My plan is to purchase either a Neil Jones FL Resizing Die or Redding Competition Resizing Die and a Wilson Stainless Steel Chamber Type Micrometer Seater Hand Die or Redding Competition Micrometer Bullet Seater. The reloading press will be used at home on a sturdy work bench. So any suggestions on a reloading press or presses I should purchase?

Keep the RCBS Reloader Special. Go with your choice of the Neil Jones FL Resizing Die if it has bushing capability and the Wilson Micrometer Seater. Purchase a new or used arbor press that you'll need for the Wilson Seater. ;)

What you have, with the addition of a arbor press(if you go with the Wilson seater), should work just fine. It is the dies that you should get spendy on. The other thing that I would suggest is a concentricity gauge, to monitor the straightness of the ammunition that you produce. If, on the other hand, you have a driving need for a new toy, that is another matter.

low volume shooting ??

just reload like br..no "reloading" press..but an arbor press and bench dies.

a lee hand load might provide a big suprise for the bucks.

more shooting than low...do a search on dillon 550b upgrades(not dillon stuff).

volume accurate ammo...not BR ammo

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
It ain't the press

Obviously this is not a new subject for this forum but I am not seeing what fits my weapon and shooting style. Bottom line is that I want to obtain EXTREME accuracy between 100 and 800 yard.
I have a Sako TRG-22, caliber .308 Winchester. I am strictly a target shooter. I shoot mainly from a benchrest or bipod. I have been reloading for many years but only for bulk ammunition.
I have a RCBS Reloader Special that I purchased in 1980 in excellent condition. My plan is to purchase either a Neil Jones FL Resizing Die or Redding Competition Resizing Die and a Wilson Stainless Steel Chamber Type Micrometer Seater Hand Die or Redding Competition Micrometer Bullet Seater. The reloading press will be used at home on a sturdy work bench.

That makes accurate ammo but the die. If you load at home all the time, the press you have is as good as anything else. Get good dies.

Given the equipment you've stated....

Given the model of rifle you've stated, I doubt seriously if purchasing custom or high end reloading presses or dies will make a significant difference in the accuracy potential you expect. Careful reloading techniques coupled with proper brass prep and rifle tuning will give the same degree of accuracy with your present equipment. All the fancy reloading equipment and custom bullets will not make a "one holer" out of a production rifle.

virg

I don't think it matters one bit what caliber or equipment your shooting as to what press you have, they all do the same job. It's just eye candy, the more or most expensive presses, use what you have will be just fine and get an arbor press to seat your bullets, job done. I know at least a couple of top notch shootes that use the partner press ( ala cheap), does the job, no fuss no muss. Save your money for more barrels, that's where you get the pay off.

Dan Honert:D:D:)

Dan...

I don't think it matters one bit what caliber or equipment your shooting as to what press you have, they all do the same job. It's just eye candy, the more or most expensive presses, use what you have will be just fine and get an arbor press to seat your bullets, job done. I know at least a couple of top notch shootes that use the partner press ( ala cheap), does the job, no fuss no muss. Save your money for more barrels, that's where you get the pay off.

Dan Honert:D:D:)

agreed. When shooting its in the wind, when reloading its in the dies. I like the lowly RCBS JR. At around 60 bucks its a steal of a platform for quality threaded dies like Reading makes. JMHO.

just read your fired brass right out of the chamber with a concentricity gauge before you start throwing money at dies. the very best dies are not going to make a crooked chamber straight. but you are asking the opinions of benchrest shooters, in a benchrest forum. for the accuracy you're looking for a good set of redding FL dies and your press will be just fine. go out and burn that barrel off perfecting your technique and maybe get with a benchrest shooter in your area and see what it's all about.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Alot of great post. Now I have some more decisions to make. Thanks Everyone!!!!

Don't know why I didn't include this earlier ...
IMO, if you want truly consistent reloads, an arbor press is the only way to go.

Over the course of....

Don't know why I didn't include this earlier ...
IMO, if you want truly consistent reloads, an arbor press is the only way to go.

Over the course of the last few years, many benchrest shooters are switching to full length resizing each time they reload rather than neck sizing only. As a result, the normal arbor press is not practical. One of the most popular presses is the economical RCBS Partner press. Low in price, easy to transport, and good enough for Benchrest, are the main reasons for its appearance on more and more reloading tables at major matches.

Must admit; I've switched too. Must also admit, the Partner press can't match the beautiful green, blue, and silver colored custom presses, but at one third the price and its equal performance sold me.;)

virg

I am a fan of

Turret presses. I have had a couple over the past few years. I have a Lyman All American, which I am not using right now and a BIG 7 hole Pacific, I think it is, both purchased on Ebay. The nice thing about them both is the lack of a ram. These presses use an elevator to lift the cases to the dies. With the 7 holes I have the three Full length dies for the three chamberings I use along with the Seaters for them plus a collet bullet puller. The press bolts easily to either my bench at home or the plywood shelf in the back of my Caravan. Loading is a snap anywhere I choose to do it. From my experience, using threaded seating dies is the best way to load the most consistent OAl ammo, hands down.

Last edited:
Back