reloading help

Chuck,

as you wander about asking questions you'll run across the reoccurring theme that "Brand XYZ" is "best"............. be very very careful with any advice which includes "I have" and "this is the best" and "I only use" blahh blahh blahhhhh.

EVERY company out there makes perfectly adequate reloading gear. What's important is how you use it.

Read the books, find a reloading mentor if need be but UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS and you'll no longer be hung up on brands/types/colors and you'll no longer be reliant on opinions.

Be safe

al

ok i got the hornady reloading handbook and i was just thinking is this only hornady bullets that they show or does it show all brands just asking because if i go with a different bullet than like the powder they tell me will not help ???

ok i got the hornady reloading handbook and i was just thinking is this only hornady bullets that they show or does it show all brands just asking because if i go with a different bullet than like the powder they tell me will not help ???

Each bullet manufacturer's reloading book is going to show you just their bullets and provide you stats related just to their product. When you get experienced you will have a better idea of what is safe and what you might expect if you attempt to interchange the different brands. The bullet shapes and jackets will vary, and pressure and ballistic performance can and often will vary as well even with the same grain weight bullets and powder charge.

Asking, "How do I reload?" is practically like going to the stock car races and asking a driver "How did you build that engine?" It really can't be answered in a few paragraphs.

I don't recall you indicating exactly what it was you wanted to accomplish in reloading. (??) Saving money while you basicaly do casual shooting at the range is one thing..... but precision shooting is quite another. If all you are looking to do is shoot fist size groups, then the basic equipment will start you out just fine, and it's hard to go wrong. But if you are looking to shoot tight groups, you would be much better off to learn a lot beforehand, and talk to a few knowledgable people. Don't do what I did; I got into reloading years ago seeking accuracy and consistency starting with a whole slew of crude and cheap green boxes of dies, with nothing much more then a trimmer, a 10-10 scale, and a good caliper. Precision rifle shooting takes more then measuring a charge precisely and stuffing a bullet over it until I have a certain length cartridge. The best thing would be if you can learn the basics from the books, and then once you have an idea what you're getting involved in, talk with folks about the particulars before you spend your hard earned cash on stuff that will not serve you for your needs.

The Lyman & Lee Manuals have a variety of bullet brands listed.

-------------------------
http://www.takdriver.com

I have the Lyman reloading handbook and its pretty complete. Its a good starter guide and reference manual in my estimation...

Chuck, to clarify, there are two towns named Mandan in ND, one near Bismark and the other west of Minot, which one are you near?

lol i guess never new that but i'm by Bismarck lol sorry about not knowing that little information lol i live here and i dont even know the area that is bad but i never travel that way

ok so i been looking and is it hard to reload like 6.5mm or 6mmbr or is it a better choice to get started with the 308 to learn how to reload than go to some bullets like that??

The only difficulty in loading for the 6.5 BR is necking up the 6 BR case in a 6.5 full length sizing die. If you have a .308 it's probably easier to start with it than something that's not as well standardized as the .308 though.

As far as difficulty of reloading anything, if someone knows and understands the basics of what they're doing it's not that hard. When I first started loading all the manuals commented on how hard it was to load for the .300 Savage due to its 30° shoulder. Not that I've noticed. Maybe I'm jiust not bright enough to understand that I've had problems.... :D :D

If you are looking for precision reloading with a press, your best bet is the cheap old RCBS Partner press. Put a rubber washer under the die lock ring to help with wiggle room and self alignment of the cartridge.:D

Back