REL-7 is it dirty

S

stevelong

Hello, I've read and seen that REL-10x is a pretty dirty powder, also to some degree REL-15, both in a couple of my own rifles have been much harder to clean than some other powders.
I'm probably stepping on some toes with the above, but - I've seen it.....
Is REL-7 along the same lines?
I'm considering using it in a couple of .222's but I shoot A LOT and I don't want to go down that road if someone that KNOWS says it's so.
Thanks, Steve Long.

Rl7

Is RL7 dirty? Does a bear go in the woods?

I like RL7 and I've used much of it. It works great in almost everything. I've never tried it in a 222, but it works well in a 223.

Plan on cleaning more if you use RL7 as it is a mess. It isn't hard to clean, just have to clean more often.

Consider Hodgen H4198 as the burn rate is very similar and works just as well. I now use H4198 in 223, 223AI and 20Tac. It seems to really like that size case.

I haven't used enough RL-7 or 10X to be able to judge whether they're dirtier than average or not. I've never had any problems with RL-15 being dirtier than anything else, but I tend to shoot fairly hot loads which might help it burn cleaner.

For my .222 I use H4198 Extreme because it gives a better balance of accuracy and velocity. I use slower powders in my .223 and .223 AI, but can't remember what they are right now and am too lazy to go downstairs to check. :eek:

RL 7 is very dirty.

RL 10x is one of the cleanest powders I've tried along with IMR 3031 and accuracy wasn't very good with either. I prefer a powder that works well in several cartridges.

Avan out of curiosity what are your favorite RL 7 .223 Loads.

Mine is 19.8gr 55gr fmj CCI Primers Federal Brass.

Turns out may IMR 4198 load is the exact same recipe.

H4198 is cleaner and accurate but it likes slightly higher pressure before accuracy than some other powders.

I use tons of Re 7 in my .222 and Re 22 in both my .340 wby and .416 Rigby, and to be perfectly honest I dont think that these powders burn any different to other powders I use. It has been stated that hot loads which all of mine are may help with cleaner burning? But for me Re 7 gives the best accuracy and highest velocity for 50 grain bullets in my .222, and is definatly not hard to clean

Steve

I use tons of Re 7 in my .222 and Re 22 in both my .340 wby and .416 Rigby, and to be perfectly honest I dont think that these powders burn any different to other powders I use. It has been stated that hot loads which all of mine are may help with cleaner burning? But for me Re 7 gives the best accuracy and highest velocity for 50 grain bullets in my .222, and is definatly not hard to clean

Steve

I agree with the Aussie - I never found Re7 to be 'dirty' in my .222 or .221 Fireball.

Hello, thanks for all the replies, I have several other powders to revisit with testing before I try REL-7.
I guess I might give it a shot since there wasn't a clear-cut consensus.
I want it all, I've tried a lot of things & best I've seen for consistency IN MY RIFLE sako 75V .222 is imr-4895 @ someplace around 24.0, but it meters lousy, have to pound it into the cases with a long drop tube & tapping.
SO I want consistency match-to-match, and easy metering, and not terribly dirty, but first of all needs to be accuracy.
Hey, everyone wants it their way, right?
Thanks again,
Steve.

Back