Reformed brass trimming

Jim D

I've reformed a few 223 to 221 fireball.
There is quite a bit of brass to remove to bring them into spec.
What do you guys use to trim the brass ?

Seems like someone should make a setup that would fit a hand crank trimmer, and cut the brass like a pipe cutter. And leave it at correct length.

Thanks !
Jim

Pretty hard to beat

I've reformed a few 223 to 221 fireball.
There is quite a bit of brass to remove to bring them into spec.
What do you guys use to trim the brass ?

Seems like someone should make a setup that would fit a hand crank trimmer, and cut the brass like a pipe cutter. And leave it at correct length.

Thanks !
Jim

A Wilson trimmer for accurate trim length cases, in my opinion. I don't know how much you have to take off but if it's a lot and you have access to a lathe, single point cutting them close to the desired length is a very good way to do it.

Everyone should have some sort of metal lathe to use to do and to make those whatevers that come up from time to time. Small lathes are relatively inexpensive and a source of great joy to work and play with, IMHO. Bigger lathes are more fun than small ones too! :p

I just set up my Wilson with the electric drill attachment. You can zip off whatever you need in just a little more time than a normal trim.

Rick

Have you checked to see if neck diameter will be an issue after you push back the shoulders???

Mike Swartz

Trim Die

RCBS makes a trim die that is hardened for this purpose. Run the case into the trim die, cut off excess (exposed) neck length with a hacksaw ,file smooth, inside ream or outside neck turn (for neckwall thickness) and make sure you Anneal the necks or the necks will split in only a couple fireings.

Last edited:
To date, I size with a trim die, and use a table saw with an abrasive blade, to trim the lions share, and then finish in a Forster trimmer.
I just thought someone may have a faster, better, and safer setup.
The table saw works, but rather dangerous !
As far as annealing, thats my next project !

Roger T's suggestion of the RCBS form and trim die is a good one when a whole bunch of brass needs to be cut off. A hacksaw is used to cut off the majority of the too long neck with no harm to the die which is hardened to stand hacksaws and files.

As Mike Swartz mentions it's likely that the new necks will be too thick since they WERE part of the body of the .223 case.

I have a neck turner on my trimmer. It works fine.
Have'nt shot any of these casings yet. I'm a littler nervous because I have'nt annealed them.
Have'nt tried a hacksaw for cutting, It may be the best way to go.
Just looking for other ideas !
Thanks for the input guys !!!
Jim

Back