Redfield Widefield

sdn1

Picked up a 3x9 with the accu-trac or accu-range not sure which its called. Seems to work fine but at low magnification you can see black specks on what appears to be the back side of the objective lens. Are these scopes nitrogen filled and how do you remove the front lens or should I just use as is ? Didn't notice the spots when I looked thru it in the pawn shop, guess I didn't try it with the magnification back off all the way or maybe the $20 price tags blurred my vision lol. Thanks

Picked up a 3x9 with the accu-trac or accu-range not sure which its called. Seems to work fine but at low magnification you can see black specks on what appears to be the back side of the objective lens. Are these scopes nitrogen filled and how do you remove the front lens or should I just use as is ? Didn't notice the spots when I looked thru it in the pawn shop, guess I didn't try it with the magnification back off all the way or maybe the $20 price tags blurred my vision lol. Thanks

IMO, use as is. opening it will generally make it worse.

Best scope anyone ever made for what it was intended for. Bought mine in the late 60's . They will last your lifetime if not abused. That's just me....

Try Here

Look up Redfield.com. Or Call 1-877-798-9686 and give them the serial No. and see if thy will repair your scope.
Worth the call. Great scope.
Centerrfire

Current Redfield scopes, optics are made by Leupold.

I may be wrong here but I think you will find that leupold has never made their own glass. Back when Redfield got in to the scope business they bought the scope division from the Kollmorgen optical company and continued to make their own glass until their demise. Don Burris worked for Redfield, after leaving them with the help of Plummer optical he founded the Burris company and continued to make their own glass until they changed hands. I believe Burris was the last of the scope glass made in this country.

Stith

I may be wrong here but I think you will find that leupold has never made their own glass. Back when Redfield got in to the scope business they bought the scope division from the Kollmorgen optical company and continued to make their own glass until their demise. Don Burris worked for Redfield, after leaving them with the help of Plummer optical he founded the Burris company and continued to make their own glass until they changed hands. I believe Burris was the last of the scope glass made in this country.

Was Kollmorgen and Stith the same company? My dad said you had lyman and weaver then you had stith. They were the best back in the 50s. A guy brought an old model 70 swift out one day had a stith , I think Im saying it right, on it. I tried to buy it but he wouldn't part with it. Doug

I mentioned Leupold because they may be able to repair the OP's scope. Not sure if Redfield is housed in the same facility or is separate.

I have an older 2 x 7 widefield on my DeerSlayer Ithaca 37.

Also own 3 older Redfield scopes on my hunting rifles. Never saw a reason to replace them.

today's redfield is a "name" only.
no connection link or parts of the past.
ironsite is the place to go
I mentioned Leupold because they may be able to repair the OP's scope. Not sure if Redfield is housed in the same facility or is separate.

Also own 3 older Redfield scopes on my hunting rifles. Never saw a reason to replace them.

I have 3

of the Denver Redfield 2-7X scopes and every one of them are solid holding POI. One went back to Ironsight a few years ago for clearing up lens clouding. Not fungus but clouding due to lens cement deterioration. Yes they ARE the place to go for Denver Redfields and the stuff leupold calls Redfields.

Was Kollmorgen and Stith the same company? My dad said you had lyman and weaver then you had stith. They were the best back in the 50s. A guy brought an old model 70 swift out one day had a stith , I think Im saying it right, on it. I tried to buy it but he wouldn't part with it. Doug

Kollmorgen made the "Stith Bear Cub" scopes for Stith. I don't know what their relationship was but when it ended Kollmorgan continued to produce these scopes under their name until Redfield took over. If memory serves me correctly they offered them in 2 1/2, 4 and 6X. The first variables were made under the Redfield name. Again if memory serves me correctly they were the first scopes where the cross hairs stayed the same size regardless of power change. There was a fellow named Hilliard with Redfield who was killed in an accident and that seemed to be about the same time things took a turn for the worse. Kollmorgan is still in business today. Like B&L their scope business was more of a side line. Probably more than you wanted to know but things are a little slow this evening.

things took a turn for the worse when the epa found ground contamination at redfield.
they had been dumping waste on their property for years it does not stay on your property
the cleanup costs and probable fines led to the closure.

. There was a fellow named Hilliard with Redfield who was killed in an accident and that seemed to be about the same time things took a turn for the worse.

things took a turn for the worse when the epa found ground contamination at redfield.
they had been dumping waste on their property for years it does not stay on your property
the cleanup costs and probable fines led to the closure.

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the rest of the story.

Along time back Redfield made real nice scope mounts. Have them on my old .222.

Mort[/QUOTE

Kollmorgan never made any mounts for their scopes. Redfield made rings & and bases for scopes before they went into the scope business. I still have an pair of Redfield 26 mm rings for a Kollmorgan 6X I once owned.

Martin

I had an old Weaver K10 on my 222 with Weaver scope mounts. I scored on the Redfield mount and rings from a gun nut in the shop where I worked. They were and still are the the best looking mount's I have ever owned.

Mort

Back