Redfield LE-12 Modification

Harold M

I have a US-made 30mm / 56mm Redfield LE-12 - matt finish, target knobs. I like the optics and adjustments, but the reticle is designed for larger targets than I care to engage (LE = law inforcement). Does anyone know who can replace the "circles and arrows" reticle with something more conventional?

Thanks ---

there's a company called Iron Sighters that did @ one time do Redfield repairs,( they always had 5-7 month turn around) I had them do 2-3 rebuild jobs then had one go bad after only 2-3 months and called to see if they'd make it good,,, the lady on phone was a real B----H, warrannty was TS so sad too bad, call redfield customer service and see who does repairs on none warranty work now. there was a company in miami fl named ABO USA that did good work on Redfield but don't know if their still around

Thanks for the reply.
I also tried Premier, who indicate they only do Shmidt Bender these days. The referred me to T K Lee, whom I am contacting. There's a name out of the dim, distant past.

Redfield LE-9

Harold M , I have a US-made Redfield LE-9, 1-inch 50mm 3X9 target knobs that I picked up used. I do not have the box or paper work that it left Denver with, and I would like any information on the circles and hash marks of the reticle. Great scope and thanks.

The "SN Reticle"

There are two circles - a bigger one over, and tangent to, a little one. The insides of the circles are open. The horizontal cross-hair extends from a shape resembling a fence picket on its side, pointing toward the center, to the perimeter of the large circle. The cross-hairs do not continue through the aforementioned circles. There are vertical hash marks at the root of the points of the pickets, and at the points of the pickets. The central vertical cross-hair extends from the edges of the field to the open circles.

The instructions in the box deal with how to mount the scope and how to sight in the rifle. There is no discussion of how to use the reticle.

TK Lee Co. say they can replace the reticle with a dot-and-crosshair. I think I"m headed in that direction.

Harold

Thank You

Thanks for the reply. I have the same reticle. ABOUSA is still in business, but good luck trying to understand their English unless something has changed in the last few years. I hope everything works out for you.

I also have an LE-9 and initially found the reticle to undesireable. After I used a while I felt that it will work for the hunting rifle that I have it on. I have had good luck with repairs done by Mike Sexton at Iron Sights. The wait was long, but the repairs are great. They have a web site now.
http://ironsightinc.com/
I had heard nightmares about the company in Florida. Good luck, Peter.

Redfield

There are two circles - a bigger one over, and tangent to, a little one. The insides of the circles are open. The horizontal cross-hair extends from a shape resembling a fence picket on its side, pointing toward the center, to the perimeter of the large circle. The cross-hairs do not continue through the aforementioned circles. There are vertical hash marks at the root of the points of the pickets, and at the points of the pickets. The central vertical cross-hair extends from the edges of the field to the open circles.

The instructions in the box deal with how to mount the scope and how to sight in the rifle. There is no discussion of how to use the reticle.

TK Lee Co. say they can replace the reticle with a dot-and-crosshair. I think I"m headed in that direction.

Harold

Harold, The bigger circle is for to be placed around a human's head at 100 yards or you may use the smaller circle to placed around a human's eye at 100 yards. This scope is designed for law enforcement where shot are nearly less than a distance of 100 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harold M , I have a US-made Redfield LE-9, 1-inch 50mm 3X9 target knobs that I picked up used. I do not have the box or paper work that it left Denver with, and I would like any information on the circles and hash marks of the reticle. Great scope and thanks.

The bigger circle is for to be placed around a human's head at 100 yards or you may use the smaller circle to placed around a human's eye at 100 yards. This scope is designed for law enforcement where shot are nearly less than a distance of 100 yards.

Redfield LE

d4w1 Thanks for the information on the reticle circles. The big news about Redfield is that Leupold has bought the brand name from Meade. I hope it's good thing-

I mounted the scope on a 308 40X that was my over-the-course rifle 20 years ago. At 12X, the large, center circle interior interior subtends 2 MOA and the small one 1 MOA. With the scope sighted in so the large circle coincides with point of impact at 200 yards, one can use the small circle as the aiming point for 300 yards. The 100 yard point of impact is half an inch above the top of the large circle. All that is with 168 Sierra Internationals and 40.5 gr. IMR 4895 in '72 NM cases.

H

I vote for Lee Dot. They did a great job on my old Fecker 24x. Highly recommend.

Back