Redding Bushing Dies abd Redding Bushing

E

ehkempf

Redding Bushing Dies and Redding Bushing

When using a Redding bushing die and their bushings, is the side with the printing suppose to be facing up or down? Or does it really not make a difference?

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed, I look at what side has the most champfer and put that side down faceing the case neck.
Does it make a difference ? I do not really know.
Tom

I read somewhere, and remember this is only someone's theory, that you should put the size stamping down. Their reasoning was that putting the size on distorted that area and raised it a little. If you put the stamping up when the bushing butted against the stop it would cant slightly. I do not have good enough tools to measure if this is actually true.

The instructions that come with Redding dies do not specify which way to drop the bushing in so they apparently think it makes no difference.

I read somewhere, and remember this is only someone's theory, that you should put the size stamping down. Their reasoning was that putting the size on distorted that area and raised it a little. If you put the stamping up when the bushing butted against the stop it would cant slightly. I do not have good enough tools to measure if this is actually true.

The instructions that come with Redding dies do not specify which way to drop the bushing in so they apparently think it makes no difference.

The logic here sounds fine, but I read somewhere not to butt the bushing tightly. But instead back off a little to allow the bushing to "free-float" a little (a little bit of a rattle). That is the way i set them up.

Ed

You are correct that the bushing needs to "float" says that in Redding's instructions. The butt up that I was referring too was the seating stem holder/bushing stop that stops the bushing from going any higher after it has centered on the case neck.

also.
With the 3 redding bushing dies I have, the finish on the knurled nut that locks the decaping rod was terrible.
I give both sides of the nut a few swipes on a flat surface (surface plate) with 400 grit paper damp with wd-40, and use a little moly grease between the bushing and the now smooth knurled nut surface.
Be careful not to sand the bearing surfaces crooked.

It seems as though I remember hearing that reversing a Wilson bushing made a small difference. Never paid much attention as long as I made sure I didn't "change horses in mid stream".

Back