Rechamber a Anschutz?

bigredplane

I was thinking about having my older Anschutz 1977 1613 rechambered to a Eley Match chamber. What's the % that this will help. What should be the avg. cost for having this done? It seems to like Eley ammo the best. That's why I was thinking fo having this done.

Last edited:
Wait

I would wait until I re barreled. To do it correctly, you will have to cut off the existing chamber and completely refit the barrel to the action. If the barrel likes Eley now, there are no guarantees that it will still shoot it as good or better with a new chamber.

Yes

Contact Bill Myers, Butch Hongisto or any other quality gunsmith and let them know what you need. What you expect, and what you wind up with may be different. Older barrel have a better chance of being pitted and worn out due to misuse and improper cleaning procedure. Some Anchutz are more difficult than others to properly rechamber.

rechamber

Yes!
Saw this question elsewhere.
Back in the 70's a friend ran a test to see just that and the rifle shot fine. However, the conclusion was shop operation was the same as a new barrel.
It also depends as Fred suggested on the interior of the bore and how eroded it is from normal use. I have one that was set back twice but it is now visibly eroded for about 4" ahead of the chamber.
Back in the late 50's or 60's Either Larry Moore or Herb Hollister wrote an article in the AR on just this subject in which he used about 6 or so rifles testing accuracy before and after. As I recall it was split half improved slightly and half declined slightly.
Good advice given above. If you have one that shoots keep it, if not have a new one put on.

bjm

Well maybe I should tell you why I was thinking of rechambering and not rebarreling. One of Conservation Clubs I shoot at their matchs (fun shoots).The rules are this
Classes
1. Sporter Class all factory parts

2. Medium Barrel all factory parts

3. Heavy Barrel all factory parts

4. Custom Class anything goes

No one there has a Custom gun and if I put a after market barrel on mine then my gun would fall in the Custom Class. Then no one to shoot with. So I was hoping rechambering would help.

barrel

Somehow I don't think a custom chamber in a factory barrel is in the spirit of the rules of the game. I seriously doubt "all factory parts" had this in mind.

Let your conscience be your guide.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I don't think a custom chamber in a factory barrel is in the spirit of the rules of the game. I seriously doubt "all factory parts" had this in mind.

Let your conscience be your guide.

bjm

You know you may be right. I will have to ask.

Back