Recessed Receiver Faces

I have been told that I do not even have the mechanical expertise to put a hole in a washer, but I would bet that I could get Bob White to make me one of those.

Once I hear back from the guys at Kelbly I will know more.

Thanks Again, Bob

Writing a check I am good at unfortunately. Thanks for the heads up. I want to order one of their bench matts anyway.

Bob

I built a device yesterday for measuring to a headspace gauge and for measuring cone clearance. It's pretty simple. It's made from the butt end of a barrel blank. The inside is bored to minor bore diameter for a 1 1/16-18 thread for a inside depth of 2". The front part of the hole is bored to 1.075" for .875" then a 1 1/16-18 tap is run in to thread about a 1/2" of thread past the .875" portion. The other end of the piece of barrel steel is bored for a 3/8" diameter hole. A 1" micrometer head goes in the 3/8" diameter hole and is held in place with three 10-32 set screws with weedeater cord under each set screw. The micrometer head is adjusted to read zero on a surface plate with the tip of the head sitting on a 1" diameter inspection ball. It works slick and is repeatable plus reads the same as a depth mike from receiver face to bolt face. A window is milled on each side of the tool so that you can see the head tip or hold the ball against the cone to get a relative measurement for cutting the cone. The tool slips over most of the barrel thread and them screws onto the tenon for just a few threads so that you only have to turn it about four or five turns to lock it down against the barrel shoulder. I had built one before that didn't thread into the tenon and just slipped over the tenon. With it being threaded it gets more consistent readings and is easier to make duplicate barrels when chambering more than one barrel for a benchrest rifle. I'll take some photos tomorrow and add them to this post. Simpler to see in a photo than to describe. The 1" diameter inspection ball is available from m MSC for about $5 or so. Dale Woolum makes a similar tool that he sells through PMA Tool. I don't know whether Dale's tool is threaded on the inside or whether it just slips over the tenon. The problem that I've run into using it with the B&S micrometer head is that if you tighten down the set screws too tightly, the micrometer head won't turn. I have a Mitutoyo digital head on my other tool that slips over the thread and that isn't threaded on the inside that will work no matter how tight the set screws are tightened. I'll switch heads and see if the head will make a difference. That head has to be tight in the sleeve when the tool is used or it will move in the tool when you adjust it.

View attachment 18646

View attachment 18647

View attachment 18648

View attachment 18649

Mike some micrometer heads are threaded and have a nut to secure them in place, if you use one of these it does away with the set screw and the problem of deforming the micrometer body where it passes through the tool. I have seen a few Starret and Mitutoyo micrometer heads with this feature.........Ian

.... tip of the head sitting on a 1" diameter inspection ball. It works slick and is repeatable plus reads the same as a depth mike from receiver face to bolt face...

Mike,

Be careful with using only a 1" diameter ball on any cone less than a 30°. For example, a BAT with a 25° cone, the 1" ball will not sit tangent on the cone chamfer if you are cutting the cone after reaming the chamber, unless it is a small diameter case (222 head). If the edge of the chamber is sharp or with a radius, it will give you inconsistent readings from chamber to chamber.
I drew this in CAD, and it shows the 1" ball touching below the corner if the back end of the chamber is a PPC (0.440")

A 1-1/8" ball will work on a 25° cone.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Mike,

Be careful with using only a 1" diameter ball on any cone less than a 30°. For example, a BAT with a 25° cone, the 1" ball will not sit tangent on the cone chamfer if you are cutting the cone after reaming the chamber, unless it is a small diameter case (222 head). If the edge of the chamber is sharp or with a radius, it will give you inconsistent readings from chamber to chamber.
I drew this in CAD, and it shows the 1" ball touching below the corner if the back end of the chamber is a PPC (0.440")

A 1-1/8" ball will work on a 25° cone.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Greg, in that case, then the sleeve can't be threaded as the ball would be too large in diameter for the thread. Probably be just as simple to build a 25 degree cone for Bats with a flat on one side for measuring and a 30 degree cone as well for Pandas. The sleeve I had been using in the past with a 1" dial indicator has really worked pretty well. But, if you don't keep trying to do things better, you become stagnant. I'm going to keep working on the threaded sleeve to where I can make it absolutely repeatable. I put some layout blue on a 25 degree cone and am letting it dry. I'll see where the 1" ball makes contact. Just looking at it sitting on another one it appears to be right on the chamber edge. Rotating the 1" ball on the layout blue, the ball made a ring through the bluing just slightly outside of the chamber mouth. It would be better farther out, but it will work with a PPC. With a BR chamber, the ball would be riding on the chamber mouth.

Last edited:
Talked to the guys at Kelby's today and if the Teddy action is unmodified, they know the correct dimensions and said they can make me a barrel up without having the gun.

Bob

Talked to the guys at Kelby's today and if the Teddy action is unmodified, they know the correct dimensions and said they can make me a barrel up without having the gun.

Bob

They will also email you the spec drawings if you ask them. Nice thing to have on file in my eyes.

These are my tools to do this. It is easier to just screw it on the barrel tenon and easier for a klutz that would need 2 hands. Yes, I do have them for different tenons and tenon angles.

zsok5x.jpg

To add to this, I can align the vertical lines to the writing on a barrel and transfer the location to the new barrel.

These are my tools to do this. It is easier to just screw it on the barrel tenon and easier for a klutz that would need 2 hands. Yes, I do have them for different tenons and tenon angles.

zsok5x.jpg

To add to this, I can align the vertical lines to the writing on a barrel and transfer the location to the new barrel.

Butch, pretty good. An all in one tool. I have a threaded sleeve with 18 lines around it for transferring where to mark the engraving from one barrel to the next. Swapped out the Brown and Sharpe micrometer head today for a Starrett head that I had. The Starrett head has a 1/2" diameter shank so would take a lot more pressure on the shank before it tried to lock up the spindle.

IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

Yours look good. My micrometer heads have a spanner nut to hold them. On my custom seating dies I use 3 set screws 120 deg. apart to hold the micrometer heads in.

I looked at some heads similar to what Ian had. Those heads like that can get to be very high dollar depending upon manufacturer.

Mike, I was looking through a drawer and found one that I built several years ago. It was made to slip over the tenon and has a Mitutoyo 543-683B indicator (Digital) on it. I never used it and it needs a battery. I will give it to Nez if he can use it.

Mike, I was looking through a drawer and found one that I built several years ago. It was made to slip over the tenon and has a Mitutoyo 543-683B indicator (Digital) on it. I never used it and it needs a battery. I will give it to Nez if he can use it.

Coach,

Thank you. I will put it to use for sure on Robert's new LV barrel. Will visit you to pick it up.

I love early Christmas presents.

Nez

I made a couple of these a few years ago, using digital mics it is easy to zero the mic when measuring an existing barrel and use it to duplicate the new barrel.
I've also made a couple with 0-25mm micrometer heads, just as effective but these were for uncommon actions..........Ian

Ian, I picked up the one that you had messaged me about from eBay. I tried to message you back, but it says you've reached your private message quota limit. Hopefully will see you in November.

Thanks,
Mike

Ian, I picked up the one that you had messaged me about from eBay. I tried to message you back, but it says you've reached your private message quota limit. Hopefully will see you in November.

Thanks,
Mike

Glad I could help Mike, I have cleared some room for messages. Helen and I will look forward to seeing you next November.

Glad I could help Mike, I have cleared some room for messages. Helen and I will look forward to seeing you next November.

We will see. Sent the deposit in yesterday and sent in the renewal on our passports yesterday as well. Should know whether we are going by the end of January.

Back