Rebarrel Rem 788 suggestions

DanB

Well my old, (1967) Remington 788 in .22-250 needs a new barrel. Here are some photos of the bore just inside the muzzle.
_DPB8871.jpg
_DPB8872.jpg
It will still average less than an inch for 5 shots at 100y with some loads but I'm looking for more. I can't decide wether I should stick with a .22 caliber or try something else. I do have a 6.5mm 1:8 twist Bartlein blank that has the same contour as the factory barrel.
Something to consider is the short oal of the cartridge needed to fit the magazine in this gun.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

I'd consider buying a bottle of Bore Tech Eliminator or other like serious copper remover & clean the barrel first. That's the cutest copper plating I've ever seen on a barrel.

Of course, once you get rid of it, you might find the barrel is pitted underneath, but it's still a cheap option.

Er, you do have a suitable single piece cleaning rod & the accoutrements to go with it?

It's just copper......clean it. A brandy-new barrel will do the same thing if'n it's mistreated.......

It's not necessarily "shot out".

I own all the 788's except two. The 22-250 is the most accurate out of the box. Why not re barrel in that chamber.

I used a Canon 1dsmk3 with a 65mm MPE macro lens and a twin light macro flash.
I'm looking at more than the fouling, zoom in and see the deep pits?
I am thinking of another 22-250 or a 22-250 Ackley improved with a fast twist rate.
I do have the 6.5mm barrel on hand but the only cartridge I can think of that will fit in the magazine is a 6.5mm BR.
Dan

I soaked the bore for about 30 in Barnes CR-10 and wiped it quite a bit with a brush. Here is the result.
_DPB8883.jpg
_DPB8882.jpg
_DPB8885.jpg
If I can get out of work early enough I'll go to the range and try it again.
Dan

maybe just re-crown it and try it again.
what does the throat look like ?

How about 6.5x47 Lapua? How do you like the Micro Flash? It's the ring correct? I was surprised with the lack of reflection. I have 5 Canon bodies including a 1DS-X and think I will pick up one of these flashes even though I mostly do aerial and real estate work..

Bob

Last edited:
Might take a little fouling before it starts shooting.

Do people really rebarrel 788's?

Last edited:
Thanks for the really nice pictures and info. I have seen factory barrels with more pits than yours show and still shot pretty good, but that barrel really needs a new clean crown.

Thanks Chet

I know several Remington 788s that's been rebarreled. They are all Accurate as any 700 with a Match Barrel. I have one 788 left now and it is still factory in a 22-250. It was made in 1975 and with Handloads shoots 1/2 MOA or better.

DanB,

Now that it's clean, shoot it again and see how it groups. If that don't work, have it re-crowned...that one is pretty ratty looking...and shoot some more groups. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Justin

Who knew that cleaning a barrel could do wonders;)

Snuck out of work early and headed to the range. The load I used was 34 grains of Varget, Sierra 52g HPBT, and Cci BR2 primers, 4 five shot groups in this order,
1.1"
_DPB8887.jpg
.54"
_DPB8888.jpg
.53"
_DPB8889.jpg
.34"
_DPB8890.jpg
It does appear that it needed to be fouled a bit before it was at its best.

Bob, I am currently building a 6.5x47 Lapua with a nitride deviant tactical action, Bartlein 28" barrel, and Mcmillan a5 stock.
The flash is the MT 24-ex. I put a cotton swab just below the crown and bounce the flash of it.
I do think I may do a recrown on the 788.
Dan

Snuck out of work early and headed to the range. The load I used was 34 grains of Varget, Sierra 52g HPBT, and Cci BR2 primers, 4 five shot groups in this order,
1.1"
View attachment 17881
.54"
View attachment 17882
.53"
View attachment 17883
.34"
View attachment 17884
It does appear that it needed to be fouled a bit before it was at its best.

Bob, I am currently building a 6.5x47 Lapua with a nitride deviant tactical action, Bartlein 28" barrel, and Mcmillan a5 stock.
The flash is the MT 24-ex. I put a cotton swab just below the crown and bounce the flash of it.
I do think I may do a recrown on the 788.
Dan

I too would like to applaud your camera work, very fine.

Recrown.............????

There ya go......... .34" group.......and as ruff as that bore is.......A little cleaning sure helped......and lite fouling.......when you get a factory varmint gun that shoots in the .3`s....... LEAVE IT ALONE.... just clean every now and then............
bill larson

Back