Reasonable priced spotting scope?

K

kdvarmint

Considering a new spotting scope for spotting at 500yds. Must be able to see .224 holes under "reasonable conditions". Yeah, mirage, I know:mad: $400 - $600 range. Any advise? Thank's in advance.

do some searching.
what color target ?? 600/1000 ibs with white/light blue are easy to see with a cheap scope...i have one.
to see x dia hole at y distance you need z dia objective.....facts....
so its unlikely the best 60mm spooting scope will do it..it may.
next step is 66 or so...no luck in a black backgrounds
jump to 75's then 80/82 and then 100's and 120's....

look at optics planet for scope size and price....

there is still the old adage about buy and cry once....kowa, and up

better spotting scopes are sold body and then eye pc....

hard to get there with just $600....unless you find a deal on a used.

(my cheap is a celestron 100, 22-67x 45 degree..i can see 6mm at 1000 in white paper...$310 delivered...spending extra for ed glass might help)

mike in co

google B&H Cameras in Noo Yark Citi. The 100 mm 20-60 Regal I think is approx. $640 about 3 weeks ago. The guy at Celestron said to call them. They had the best prices.
This scope is one of the best out there.
There was a big discussion about this spotting scope on www.usrifleteams.com about it.

I'm saving my money.

Roy

looks like amazon matched the price..its 640 right now...

i'd find the extra 40 bucks and jump.....

this is the serious upgrade of mine...

google B&H Cameras in Noo Yark Citi. The 100 mm 20-60 Regal I think is approx. $640 about 3 weeks ago. The guy at Celestron said to call them. They had the best prices.
This scope is one of the best out there.
There was a big discussion about this spotting scope on www.usrifleteams.com about it.

I'm saving my money.

Roy

Anyone using one of these scopes, if so what is your opinion?

I bought the Burris Landmark 20x60x80 a couple of years ago and after looking thru mine, my partner also bought one. We have taken it to the 600 yard matches at Piedmont and caused several other shooters to wind up buying one? I don't think you can beat them for the price! We have compared Kowa's and other "big name" scopes with ours at the matches and there is not any big difference? http://www.binocularsnsite.com/burris-landmark-20x60x80-spotting-scope-kit.html
Rich De

rich,
where was it made.
the ad clearly ignores country of origin.
at 300 bucks i'd say china.
slightly less scope than my 100 clestron at 310.....
i agree they are clear..but our light targets make seeing pretty easy.
it is not currently listed on buris's home stie...tho it appears to be available from some vendors.
mike in co
I bought the Burris Landmark 20x60x80 a couple of years ago and after looking thru mine, my partner also bought one. We have taken it to the 600 yard matches at Piedmont and caused several other shooters to wind up buying one? I don't think you can beat them for the price! We have compared Kowa's and other "big name" scopes with ours at the matches and there is not any big difference? http://www.binocularsnsite.com/burris-landmark-20x60x80-spotting-scope-kit.html
Rich De

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that this is sort of off topic....but.....I can't believe how much the price of spotting scopes and binos have gone up the past few years. I was going over my insurance policy. Mine is a new replacement policy. I paid around $1700.00 for my Lieca 77 APO about 10 years ago. I payed about $1200.00 for my top end Lieca 10x50's. I priced out comprable new ones.....OH.......MY......GOD!!!! I now need to insure my spotting scope for $4500.00 and my binos for $2700.00!!!!

In comparison....guns are not that much different from 10 years ago. Neither are my rifle scopes.

Sorry for the hyjac....but I was litteraly shocked!!! I used to know the price on EVERYTHING in the years before I baught. But, since I baught the best (in my mind of course....I don't want to start a ford vs chevy deal) I quit looking at that stuff. Quite the eye opener!!!

Tod

Mike, looking at the Regal 100 on Celestron's site it looks like it comes with a 22-67x eyepiece but is capable of a 236x useable magnification (probably overkill and too much mirage for our uses). And pardon my ignorance but would one have to buy a stronger eyepiece to increase magnification to say 100x?

KD Varmint, I see you're from south central PA, I would strongly suggest going to Lost Creek Shoe shop outside of McAlisterville, it's an Amish shop that has a whole back room full of optics that you can compare. He has different objects set up at different ranges that you can look at. What I did was take a target with bullet holes and set it out at 500 yards, he set up a few different spotters and we compared them side by side. Then you can judge for yourself.

I've looked at a lot of targets and a lot of different distances; you get and see what you pay for. Under ideal conditions you can see pretty little holes at distances pretty far away. But generally the more you can afford the better the clarity. I bought a real nice spotter, and there are times it's difficult to see 30 cal holes at 500, but to spend $300 on a spotter and expect to see holes on a regular basis at 1000 yards? Don't get your hopes up. Celestron has some decent stuff at decent prices but you should really go and look for yourself, he may even have some good deals on used equipment.

He has a wide variety of glass, Celestron’s though Swarovski, it's worth the trip

KD Varmint, I see you're from south central PA, I would strongly suggest going to Lost Creek Shoe shop outside of McAlisterville, it's an Amish shop that has a whole back room full of optics that you can compare. He has different objects set up at different ranges that you can look at. What I did was take a target with bullet holes and set it out at 500 yards, he set up a few different spotters and we compared them side by side. Then you can judge for yourself.

I've looked at a lot of targets and a lot of different distances; you get and see what you pay for. Under ideal conditions you can see pretty little holes at distances pretty far away. But generally the more you can afford the better the clarity. I bought a real nice spotter, and there are times it's difficult to see 30 cal holes at 500, but to spend $300 on a spotter and expect to see holes on a regular basis at 1000 yards? Don't get your hopes up. Celestron has some decent stuff at decent prices but you should really go and look for yourself, he may even have some good deals on used equipment.

He has a wide variety of glass, Celestron’s though Swarovski, it's worth the trip

Thank's, I will look into this.

Kd

there was a time when all said naw just 25 x or so....
but today we have premium rifle scpes that go to 80x!

i think the 22-67 is fine the way it is..i doubt that stronger magnification will be supported by the glass..its only a $700 spotting scope, not $2500....

its not magnification that is the issue, its clarity......and that is straight dollars....

again what target are you shooting at ??
if its black , i think there will always be times you cannot see the holes......dollars speak volumes in this field.

mike in co

there was a time when all said naw just 25 x or so....
but today we have premium rifle scpes that go to 80x!

i think the 22-67 is fine the way it is..i doubt that stronger magnification will be supported by the glass..its only a $700 spotting scope, not $2500....

its not magnification that is the issue, its clarity......and that is straight dollars....

again what target are you shooting at ??
if its black , i think there will always be times you cannot see the holes......dollars speak volumes in this field.

mike in co

White Targets. 500yds.

then i think you made a great choice tihe the 100 ed.....
the issue will be shots that hit the lines.......just search hard...
and report back
thanks
mike in co

Considering a new spotting scope for spotting at 500yds. Must be able to see .224 holes under "reasonable conditions". Yeah, mirage, I know:mad: $400 - $600 range. Any advise? Thank's in advance.

It isn't going to happen......... not for that money and 100 mm. Pentax maybe..... Jim

If the price isn't a problem then I would suggest you take a look at Swarovski because of their customer service.
I have never heard a bad word and I experienced the good myself.

Back