Rear spider question

K

Killswitch

Hello gents,

I've been a lurker for a while and there's a tremendous wealth of info here. Thank you all for your knowledge sharing! I am getting ready to do my own barrel work and have some questions. I am using a mint grizzly g4016 13x40 lathe for my work. I have made my rear spider for the outboard spindle and have been threading barrels and doing odd ball work to get some experience. My question on the spider is, are you using it to actually indicate the muzzle when chambering or just give it some where to ride? I've talkedto some gents that use a fixture in the 4 jaw and don't indicate anything at whatever end is not being worked on at the time. I don't want to put undo stress on the barrel by tryin to make it straight where its not by using the spider? Any advice is appreciated.

Doug

Doug
I am a long way from an expert but I indicate the bore
on both ends. I use a copper ground wire between the barrel
and the four jaw to cut down on twist.
I use nylon set screws in the rear spyder and they are not
much more than finger tight. What part of Ohio? Kenny
I am in Medway

Doug,
That is why I have a spider on each side. You could very easily bend a barrel if you aren't careful using a 4 jaw. Some folks make provisions for this, but the extra spider on the chuck side fixed my problem.

Butch
Is there a picture showing your spyder on the chuck side.
I remember you saying to use powdered sugar
in the barrel vise and it worked good for me .Thanks Kenny

Butch
Is there a picture showing your spyder on the chuck side.
I remember you saying to use powdered sugar
in the barrel vise and it worked good for me .Thanks Kenny

Kenny,
I believe Grizzly sells them for your machine. PM me your email and I will send photos later.

Butch,

Your expertise is much appreciated. I have a standard 4jaw right now and am using some soft brass short jaws I made to hopefully let the barrel pivot. I'm not sure if I'm grabbing too much real estate or not. My rear spider is simply 1/2-20 brass tipped set screws. I've been thinking about getting the d1-4 spider plate from bald eagle or the Lambeth/Kiff one.

I've threaded a few barrels with my set up and they have turned out great. I lightly indicated the chamber end to get it near running straight and did a dti off the bore. I have not chambered a barrel yet but I'm almost ready to.

Kenny. Thanks for your input as well. I am near Lima ohio

I have watched gordys video. It doesn't look to me like he really has any more pivot point in his 4j then my way.

Hello gents,

I've been a lurker for a while and there's a tremendous wealth of info here. Thank you all for your knowledge sharing! I am getting ready to do my own barrel work and have some questions. I am using a mint grizzly g4016 13x40 lathe for my work. I have made my rear spider for the outboard spindle and have been threading barrels and doing odd ball work to get some experience. My question on the spider is, are you using it to actually indicate the muzzle when chambering or just give it some where to ride? I've talkedto some gents that use a fixture in the 4 jaw and don't indicate anything at whatever end is not being worked on at the time. I don't want to put undo stress on the barrel by tryin to make it straight where its not by using the spider? Any advice is appreciated.

Doug

Doug, I'm confused at your question. Later you indicate you've watched Gordy's video????

when using Gordy Gritters' method you do not indicate the outboard end.

As far as stress, you must get the barrel indicated in while being held very loosely, allowing all gripping surfaces to freely slip to find new positions without putting the barrel in a bind. Once you've got the barrel indicated in, floating in the headstock, you then tighten it all up while maintaining alignment.

Back