Reamer/chamber for Winchester 1885 target rifle

BrentD

I eavesdrop on this forum from time to time to learn what is the latest and greatest in .22 target rifles. This certainly seems to be the place to learn about that. However, my rifles are quite different than what passes fo the norm here. Now I have to deal with rebarreling one of my own target rifles, a custom Winchester 1885 Singleshot and I would love to hear some input on best chambers/reamers. I don't know exactly what reamer was used for it originally (original to it being customized), but the chamber would engrave Eley Tenex ammo fairly strongly (the barrel was a tight Lilja barrel).

It will be fitted with another 6-groove, "tight", Lilja barrel again and I would prefer to stick with Eley Tenex ammo, but what chamber would be best for this? does anyone have experience with this action or suggestions.

If you are unfamiliar with the Winchester Singleshot, it has a falling block action with a significant among of camming action that can seat a bullet into the lands if necessary. It doesn't have the leverage that I imagine most bolt rifles have, but it is quite a bit better than some actions like a Hepburn similar.

The rifle is used in 100, and especially 200 yd benchrest, among other things.

Thanks for your consideration.

I eavesdrop on this forum from time to time to learn what is the latest and greatest in .22 target rifles. This certainly seems to be the place to learn about that. However, my rifles are quite different than what passes fo the norm here. Now I have to deal with rebarreling one of my own target rifles, a custom Winchester 1885 Singleshot and I would love to hear some input on best chambers/reamers. I don't know exactly what reamer was used for it originally (original to it being customized), but the chamber would engrave Eley Tenex ammo fairly strongly (the barrel was a tight Lilja barrel).

It will be fitted with another 6-groove, "tight", Lilja barrel again and I would prefer to stick with Eley Tenex ammo, but what chamber would be best for this? does anyone have experience with this action or suggestions.

If you are unfamiliar with the Winchester Singleshot, it has a falling block action with a significant among of camming action that can seat a bullet into the lands if necessary. It doesn't have the leverage that I imagine most bolt rifles have, but it is quite a bit better than some actions like a Hepburn similar.

The rifle is used in 100, and especially 200 yd benchrest, among other things.

Thanks for your consideration.

Two common chamber reamers used in the 50 yard RFBR game are the Calfee II and the Eley EPS. One has a 2 degree leade the other 1:30.

However, what works well at 50 yards, may not shoot to your satisfaction at 100 & 200 yards. The tight Lilja barrels are also not common on our equipment lists.

My suggestion would be to make a chamber casting of your existing barrel and try to find a reamer with very similar dimensions, using the link below:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/raayjayy/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxOTQ3NjE4Nw==/?ref=

Two common chamber reamers used in the 50 yard RFBR game are the Calfee II and the Eley EPS. One has a 2 degree leade the other 1:30.

However, what works well at 50 yards, may not shoot to your satisfaction at 100 & 200 yards. The tight Lilja barrels are also not common on our equipment lists.

My suggestion would be to make a chamber casting of your existing barrel and try to find a reamer with very similar dimensions, using the link below:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/raayjayy/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxOTQ3NjE4Nw==/?ref=

Thanks. That is helpful. I'm curious about your comment with respect to the tight Lilja barrel. Are the larger Lilja's more popular? I know that Lilja does not seem as popular now as it was 10 yrs ago or so. Is it the "tight" or the "Lilja" part that is uncommon now? Could go to Shilen or just about anyone.

You probably have a couple likely options given your platform.
A true match chamber cut in similar fashion to a bolt action BR gun will present difficulty because usualy they are cut to engrave 1/2-2/3 of the slug and a bolt gun will allow some camming on bolt closure or outright pushing on the bolt end to fully seat the round and your highwall may not have enough cammng
ability I would not want to rely on that alone.
You probably want to consider a bentz chamber or a match chamber but they would need to be cut on the long side to engage the drive band but allow easier action closure. Would'nt be surprise if original barrel was done that way.
I'd tend to also lean away from a "tight" bore for your discipline. .217"-.218" bore should be fine.
The issue with something truly tight is that unless you are lucky and get a perfectly round bore ( less common than you'd think) with all the additional swaging down of the slug, at your distance, you are at the hairy end of stability already and even a slight dimensional imbalance of a slug will not help consistancy.

Last edited:
I search for a forum that shoots long range .22rf. on falling block type actions and see what reamers they use.
A Schutzen forum or a single shot .22 bench rest forum.

Hal

I search for a forum that shoots long range .22rf. on falling block type actions and see what reamers they use.
A Schutzen forum or a single shot .22 bench rest forum.

Hal

Hal, I know those guys. They are the one I want to beat. You guys are the folks with top of the line techniques and gear, so that's why I'm here.

Back