Re-barrel .22lr

ser2711

I how a Mauser 45 .22 long rifle ...unfortunately there are some problems on the barrell..therefore is not at all accurate..is it possible to re-tube with a minimum chanche that the gun could me more accurate. at least as new..?

I how a Mauser 45 .22 long rifle ...unfortunately there are some problems on the barrell..therefore is not at all accurate..is it possible to re-tube with a minimum chanche that the gun could me more accurate. at least as new..?
First, I'd tale it to a gunsmith that has a good borescope and get his opinion.

Or have you looked down the barrel with a borescope? If so and it is pitted then it is time to rebarrel. Otherwise the barrel may just need a good cleaning and the lead ring removed from just ahead of the chamber.

As to fitting a new barrel its no biggy. Talk to a good rimfire barrel maker like Dan Lilja. http://www.riflebarrels.com/

I have installed many liners on old guns where the owner wanted to keep the appearance of the old gun... and I chambered the liners with a .22 LR match reamer. They shot as well as or better than the original barrel. I am sure if you had the old Mauser lined and chambered with a match reamer it will work well. The chamber itself is a big part of the accuracy.

Thank you for your answer...one more question...the barrel to fit in the original barrel what size must be? Considering that the Mauser 45 at the muzzle is 16mm..? Lilja could make a blank of minimum size about 13,3 mm.

Brownell's sell 5/16" liners specifically made for lining .22 barrels. That is what I have always used. They also sell a piloted drill but I have found the reamer with a removable pilot from PT & G works better.

Thank you..I just worry about the quality as the Brownells liner is very cheep comparing to Lilja barrel..

Here is a test target I shot after lining a Ruger 77-22 with a .17 caliber liner and chambering for the .17 HM2.

hm2target-0.jpg

That's very nice accuracy, but those groups are shot with superior bullets, so I wouldn't extrapolate those results to a .22 LR liner.

Still, all the basics apply; shoot good bullets (or .22LR ammunition) through good barrels, one with a great crown, chamber, and uniformity of bore and rifling.

Not for accuracy

Liners are only good to keep the original look. My 22RF don't shoot as well as the orginal factory barrel, but it looks good.

I believe the liners I have been using will shoot every bit as good as the factory barrels they are installed in did ... and in most cases superior accuracy due to the .22 LR Match chamber that is cut. The Match chamber is very important to accuracy. If you chamber with a regular .22 LR reamer you will not get great accuracy.

Dennis,
Now I'm curious........what size chamber & what leade angle does your 22rf reamer cut?

I don't know the details off hand but I bought it a couple of years ago from PT & G (Dave Kiff) as a .22 LR MATCH reamer ... It has a removable pilot and .22 LR rounds are snug and the rifling engraves the bullet. It is for bolt actions not semi's... and I have chambered and installed a couple Of Hart barrels on Sako actions for one fellow... a year apart, and he is very happy with the results. He actually wore a .22 LR barrel out... he figured over 140,000 rounds through it. A long dull area ahead of the chamber at 6 o'clock. I set back and re chambered an Anschutz sporter barrel and installed it on a Ruger 77-22. He says it shoots every bit as good as his factory $1400 rifle. I really believe the chamber is as important as the quality of the barrel on these rim fires. You can't adjust a load or length.

Back