Re#17 and a 30"bbl in 6x284

Worker

I wondering if Re#17 might not be the best choice of powder for a 6x284 shooting a 87gr V-max out of 30" bbl. 49.3 grs pushed the V-max 3670 fps 50grs produced a brite shinny ejector mark on the Lapua case and expanded the primer pocket destroying the case. maybe I should burn Re#19 0r #22 H4831, Any suggestions ?

I would definitely switch to a slower powder like H4831. Also try H4831SC as well. It seems to be more accurate in some rifles. Re22 works well, but the lots seem inconsistent, with some being closer to Re19 in burn rate. Just be careful when trying a new lot, if thats the powder you choose. My personal favorite, IMR7828, is the first powder I would have used. It may be a little slower, but man does it shoot!

If the 50gr load loosened the primer pockets on the first firing, those 49.3gr charges wont be far behind. Say, like 3 firings. I put too much work into my brass for it to be junk that soon. :eek:

tried H1000, H4831SC & H4350,,,,,,,,, my 6.5x284 (27 1/2 in Hart Barrel + Harrell's Brake, 290 nk) really seemed to like RL19 better,,,,,,,shot Serria 142 MK ok,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,,,, bug holes with Berger 140 VLD,,,,,,,,,, and 140 VLD's do a nice job on whitetails,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

H-1000, WXR/RL 22, VV165 worked well in 12 twists with 87 V Maxes and Berger 88's. H-1000 was the speed demon with AVG accuracey, H-870 was tops accuracey wise but at 243 velocities,VV 165 gave me 120-130fps less than H-1000 but right on the back of H-870 accuracey wise. WXR/RL 22 will be close to VV 165 but , if you get some to work go back and buy all you can (it's cheaper than VV 165 and shoots as good tho not as clean)

More good answers would come from Bill Shehane, I'd think. http://scopeusout.com/

Bill shot the 6/284 to the IBS bronze level in the early days. He eventually shortened the case .1000, then .200, then moved on to other things. And usually shot heavier bullets. But when all's said & done, Bill tested a lot & might be able to add to what Roger T provided, even with lighter bullets.

I contacted Mr Shehane and he gave me a gold mines worth of information. Thanks for providing me with his link.

Shehane

I contacted Mr Shehane and he gave me a gold mines worth of information. Thanks for providing me with his link.
What did he say? Might help me out in the future, I want a barrel in this caliber someday.

He said don't expect great accuracy out of a 8" twist bbl shooting a 87gr V-Max. Also don't load full throttle loads out of new Norma or Lupua brass . Fire form first before we step on it.

Back