RCBS Chargemaster?

Chism G

When you’re not looking, powder slowly trickles out the little dispenser on to the platen. Of course,This occurs when the powder pan is removed. The little granules of powder will occasionally, when you’re not looking, roll off the platen and underneath where the platen stem fits into the top of the electronic scale. If you own a Chargemaster, remove the platen and you can see how powder can get inside the top of the scale, where the platen stem fits.

I have never removed the plastic top of the scale to see what’s underneath. This may have already been discussed on this forum. If so, I missed it.

I did a forum search, but can’t find any reference to this issue with the Chargemaster. It may be a non issue. I was just thinking if powder gets down inside the scale, what's the possibility of it interfering with the electronics ?

I didn’t get around to calling RCBS just yet.

Glenn

Y

With the big clear hopper empty and removed, remove the pan and platen. Now with the unit unplugged, turn the measure upside down. Over a piece of shire paper, gently shake the unit. If there is powder in the case some should fall out.

I have 3 1500s and on all of them the load cell is a sealed unit. I doubt if you ever spilled enough powder to fill up the case ???

PS travel with the pan off but always leave the platen on.

PPS never move the unit with powder in the hopper or dispenser tube!

Last edited:
With the big clear hopper empty and removed, remove the pan and platen. Now with the unit unplugged, turn the measure upside down. Over a piece of shire paper, gently shake the unit. If there is powder in the case some should fall out.

I have 3 1500s and on all of them the load cell is a sealed unit. I doubt if you ever spilled enough powder to fill up the case ???

PS travel with the pan off but always leave the platen on.

PPS never move the unit with powder in the hopper or dispenser tube!

Thanks Jerry. So you’re saying that a little powder that finds its way inside the scale will not affect the load cell? also,Turning the scale upside down and giving it a gentle shake,(Ouch) will dislodge powder from the inside of the scale chassis.?

You’re obviously a lot more experienced with these scales than me. I”ve read the instructions that came in the box. They(RCBS) want you to send the scale back to them if you spill powder inside the scale. Will call them soon. I’m looking for an alternative to boxing this thing up and sending it back, just because I think a little powder got inside the scale.

Glenn

Glenn

Chargemaster

A tattletale sign that powder has migrated below the platen is that it will not "zero" after calibration.

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry. So you’re saying that a little powder that finds its way inside the scale will not affect the load cell? also,Turning the scale upside down and giving it a gentle shake,(Ouch) will dislodge powder from the inside of the scale chassis.?

You’re obviously a lot more experienced with these scales than me. I”ve read the instructions that came in the box. They(RCBS) want you to send the scale back to them if you spill powder inside the scale. Will call them soon. I’m looking for an alternative to boxing this thing up and sending it back, just because I think a little powder got inside the scale.

Glenn

If you send the scale back ask for Don Legg Jr. Don is the most knowledgable.

I'm down in SEGeorgia now getting ready for the Shamrock. One of the old rimfire shooters, David Stump Newsom, just bought a 1500 off some guy for $200!

The main reason they want you not to take the bottom off is it voids the warranty.

If you send the scale back ask for Don Legg Jr. Don is the most knowledgable.

I'm down in SEGeorgia now getting ready for the Shamrock. One of the old rimfire shooters, David Stump Newsom, just bought a 1500 off some guy for $200!

The main reason they want you not to take the bottom off is it voids the warranty.

Thanks Jerry. May the seven Lucky Gods of Fortune Grant you much success at the Shamrock.

Glenn

When you’re not looking, powder slowly trickles out the little dispenser on to the platen. Of course,This occurs when the powder pan is removed. The little granules of powder will occasionally, when you’re not looking, roll off the platen and underneath where the platen stem fits into the top of the electronic scale. If you own a Chargemaster, remove the platen and you can see how powder can get inside the top of the scale, where the platen stem fits.

I have never removed the plastic top of the scale to see what’s underneath. This may have already been discussed on this forum. If so, I missed it.

I did a forum search, but can’t find any reference to this issue with the Chargemaster. It may be a non issue. I was just thinking if powder gets down inside the scale, what's the possibility of it interfering with the electronics ?

I didn’t get around to calling RCBS just yet.

Glenn

Did you modify the exit port?

Dave

A friend actually modified the exit port. He reduced the exit port diameter,and eliminated the treads at the end.

Glenn

Not the brightest bulb on the string here, but I believe chargmaster was out engineered is why the powder sneaks out of the tube.. JMO To best the engineers​, I used 2 weigh pans, placed the chargmaster independent of my loading bench, and left the factory settings alone. With the factory settings I hardly ever had any overthrows. I see no reason to change the factory settings.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Not the brightest bulb on the string here, but I believe chargmaster was out engineered is why the powder sneaks out of the tube.. JMO To best the engineers​, I used 2 weigh pans, placed the chargmaster indenplently of my loading, and left the factory settings alone. What would you gain over my system?

Later
Dave

I find that the small overthrows are significantly reduced after tweaking the settings. I've done that to both of my Chargemasters and the results are the same on both.

Both weigh pans have the same exact weight themselves? I use an A&D FX-120 i scale to crosscheck the Chargemaster but use the same pan after taring it on both scales.

I find that the small overthrows are significantly reduced after tweaking the settings. I've done that to both of my Chargemasters and the results are the same on both.

Both weigh pans have the same exact weight themselves? I use an A&D FX-120 i scale to crosscheck the Chargemaster but use the same pan after taring it on both scales.

Yes, both pans weigh exactly the same after adding some tape to the light one.

Dave

A friend actually modified the exit port. He reduced the exit port diameter,and eliminated the treads at the end.

Glenn

Most Jerk Burger ( fast food) places have 2 size soda straws. I use Pals straws. Find the size that is a snug fit in the thready tube. This solves most of the Over/under problems. Reprogramming takes care of the rest.

(On the road from Dublin)

Chargemaster?

Most Jerk Burger ( fast food) places have 2 size soda straws. I use Pals straws. Find the size that is a snug fit in the thready tube. This solves most of the Over/under problems. Reprogramming takes care of the rest.

Jerry,....I am not sending the scale back to the manufacturer. It sounds like a simple fix will work.

Dave,...During the time that I have been hooked on this sport, its been my observations that many of the tools/gadjets that we use have been modified to satisfy the expectations of the user. these modifications are limited only to the ingenuity of the owner. The RCBS Chargemaster scale is no exception.

i have seen these scales in operation at every Banchrest match I attend. Most have been modified, to some extent, to enhance performance. (Warranties aside) Sometimes the builders just can't satisfy some of the users, in a sport, who are seeking “extreme” firearm accuracy.:)

The products that we use are the least of my worries. I need to shoot.

Glenn

Last edited:

I used a 22LR barrel liner which is close to the OD of the CM exit tube. The ID of the exit tubes vary, just turn down the section to the right dimension, use a center drill to bevel the end, then part it. I played with different inserted lengths, you can go too long and it will choke the dispense, thus prolonging the charge time. I don't remember now what length I end up with It has been working well for me. Maybe the rifling might even aid a little in dropping a kernel or two at a time when the system goes into trickle mode. I don't remember when was the last time I had an overcharge. BTW, I also re-programmed the system.

Just another way to skin a deer.

It is very easy to take a higher DC voltage and regulate it down lower when required.

A simple three terminal voltage regular, a pair of resistors, and maybe a capacitor or two.

Keep in mind that lead-acid batteries often have VERY high amperage available.

Put an inline fuse in anything you rig up that is large enough for the load but not grossly oversized.

Going from 12 VDC battery up to 120 VAC to then plug in a wall wart to go back down to 9 VDC is just crazy.

Most electronics use DC anyway.

Many wall warts after stepping the voltage down with a transformer rectify it to a pulsing DC and let the load smooth the peaks down.

Back