Rcbs aps priming system

S

Signguy

Anybody using the RCBS APS system? I have developed a severe case of tendonitis in my elbows and the grip is no longer. My hand priming days are done. Need to move on to something else.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried it on the RCBS progressive loader, it is not the ideal setup. The strip sometimes failed to advance properly, especially after being reloaded several times.
I much prefer the bench mounted tool that uses the tubes that you load from a primer flipper.

you did not list the big picture...
what are you doing..br, pistol rifle what..
it expensive but i load a bunch on two dillon 550's..one in large primer, one in small primer...i load some stuff by hand still..br /match ammo.

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also try the Bonanza Primer seater; it is so easy to seat primers that, when I tried it a few times, I wondered if the primer was actually seated, even though I was using new brass.
Its easiest to feed primers into the tubes by modifying a flipper to accept the tubes.

If you decide to go this route, you may wish to mount it on a piece of wood, so you can C-clamp it. Also, it seems to feed best when it is mounted so the rear is a bit lower than the front.

Last edited:
Charles is exactly right on the tool I use. I have used one since 1973, but not the same one.
Modifying a primer flipper to feed directly into the tubes is an excellent idea Brian, have all the stuff just haven't done it yet.
If you use CCI primers for 5.56 and 7.62 they are apparently bigger in diameter and the leverage of the RCBS tool is handy.

I think he means this one

31b4TeBCDIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have it and use it as my only priming system. it works great. you can adjust the seating depth by the set screw underneath the handle this allows me to set so the primers seat with a little crush fit. i find the large primer pin works better for both small and large primers, and you also should but both red cups together when using the small primers the larger one helps centre the small cup. if you try to use the small cup on large primers you will use them ONCE and the small cup will be shredded.

I have crushed a few primers when they got turned around but they did not ignite but it did require me to take the top cap off to make sure everything was working write.

As for your tendinitous this system should be no problem you can adjust the arm to several positions and in the highest position you can simply but your hand on the arm and press down no grip strength is required.

Trevor

Last edited:
Actually, no, I'm like Horton. The one you've shown uses the APS system. The one Kansasvet mentioned is just like it, but uses regular primers. No strength issues needed to just place a primer...

I uzem

Somehow I ended up with all three versions of the APS priming system. I use the hand held version when I'm loading at benchrest matches. I use the bench version when I'm loading my Palma .308 ammo and any other rifle cartridge that I don't reload on my Dillon 550. The press mounted version is the first one that I bought but hasn't seen much use since I got the bench mounted one off ebay. I bought lots of aps strips in various colors to ID different primers. For example, I use red strips for my russian primers. I can load quite a few strips while watching TV. I'm well pleased with the system.

Back