range safety

R

realm-aw

What is considered to be the safe distances behind a 22 silhouette range? I declined to shoot at a range that shot towards a golf course 500 yards behind the targets. There was a low hill, but no burm or vertical embankment.

Range safety

Wow a golf course 500 yds behind the proposed back stop?
Sounds like trouble brewing'
Even with a 12 ft High backstop it could be a problem.
I would make sure tthe shooting area is in another Safer area'
Just My nickels worth.

gerneral opinion is a 22lr travels 1.5 to 2 miles depending on high velocity round and wind conditions. Do us all a favor and inform the range owner that he is risking getting sued for everything he owns.

About the worst ricochet hazard I know of is the .22 LR. Shooting at steel silhouettes seems like it would present a high likelihood of potential ricochets, and 500 yards is not enough for safety. With a tall hill or other solid barrier 500 yards would be enough, without a tall hill it's unsafe IMHO.

I've never heard of a range without natural or artificial berms and/or overhead barriers to stop errant bullets. One round out of safety is ten too many!

the old 22lr rifle boxes use to state a safety range of one mile but I figure with higher velocity rounds and possible 20-30 mile per hour tailwinds maybe a 1.5 mile for a accidental discharge shot at maximum distance angle and the 2 mile distance is for safety margin as nobody wants to hear a round fired from a rifle hitting anywhere near them.
ifldned

Back