Rail gun ?

Rail

Still playing with my Rail. Shot it in two registered matches so far. Didn't do well in either.

I suspect the key to success with any Benchrest Gun is good barrels and bullets. I'm still searching for that extreme accuracy. So far,I'm having fun in the process.

Glenn

I don't believe a rail gun is as important as it once was. The 5 shot unlimited all but killed the absolute need for a rail. That said, in an unlimited match, if you want to win you shoot a rail gun - a good shooting rail gun. When you see somebody win an unlimited match with a bag gun....it's a really good bag gun.

Take a look at any nationals results - there are good rails and there are not so good rails.

Dammit, I don't know how to say this.....!!

Still playing with my Rail. Shot it in two registered matches so far. Didn't do well in either.

I suspect the key to success with any Benchrest Gun is good barrels and bullets. I'm still searching for that extreme accuracy. So far,I'm having fun in the process.
Glenn

I think Glenn's post says it all if you look at what he's saying.
Glenn has a rail.
Glenn is not winning with said rail.
Glenn knows what is wrong.
Glenn is going to fix it in time.

Wilbur hopes it's just the barrel and not the rail...and Wilbur didn't let it go like he said he would.

Last edited:
Rail Gun

Wilbur, no matter how you cut it, there is no better gauge than a good rail gun, period. Simple as that. Also they are a ton of fun once you get one lined out. And if you want to see extreme accuracy there is no one better place than to watch the top rail gun shooters, shoot during a match. That said here is my personal opinion.
#1 Rail guns were designed for extreme accuracy.
#2.They do take away some aspect of human interaction but it's meant to be that way.
#3. Guys who strive to be the best, Simply shoot a rail gun
#4. Rail Guns will teach you things you have never thought about before.
#5. To be honest, I've always been a 10.5lb gun shooter, but in all honesty a Rail Gun has so much more information that if you can get your hands around a bag gun then you are half way there to total accuracy, and a rail will show it to you.
#6 5 Shot group matches are for bag guns, a rail will smoke a bag gun in it's given environment which does not matter wether it's 5 shots or 10, you simply cannot beat a good rail, Period.
Now that brings me to a thought about competing against a rail gun, you better have a good one to beat one. They are works of art, wonderfully crafted and have a place in my opinion in bench rest, if you doubt me go watch a Rail Gun Unlimited match and then let me know your thoughts.
Thanks Rich Henderson

Rich, I see you are in S. Indiana where do you shoot matches and especially unlimited class? Just wondering.

gfpd- anywhere in the USA. NBRSA & IBS. There are several places that still shoot the Unlimited class, see the NBRSA web site for schedule and details There are several Unlimited matches yet this year, St. Louis, Fiarchance, Holton. The Nationlas?
I see this is your first post? Welcome, and make sure you visit often as you will learn a ton of information and meet a lot of good people here. Let me know if I can help make you feel welcome and best of luck, this is truly one of the greatest shooting disciplines. Be sure to check out any Rail Gun matches you can catch, Enjoy.
Rich

I love and shoot a rail. Got second in the SE regionals in birmingham with mine last summer. I wish there were more railgun matches cause i love em. But no matter what yall say a railgun will teach a new shooter bad habits. Just like my first 5yrs in br every trophy i had was for HV. Not a 2/4 gun trophy to be found in my pile. I vowed to shoot one gun from then on and started collecting 4 gun wins. Then added my rail in just for fun and can win with it now too. But to not practice with a lv gun is a recipe for assured failure. Railguns dont win matches but they keep your head above water in the 4 gun. But yall do what you want for sure- thats only my opinion and many top shooters opinions cause i learned from them!

Dusty

I should clarify, yes you can learn good or bad habits just like with any other gun, I'm in no way saying a rail is a cure all, simply saying if used properly, they are a great tool, possibly the best we have for teaching us. Plus they are fun to shoot. Thanks

gfpd- anywhere in the USA. NBRSA & IBS. There are several places that still shoot the Unlimited class, see the NBRSA web site for schedule and details There are several Unlimited matches yet this year, St. Louis, Fiarchance, Holton. The Nationlas?
I see this is your first post? Welcome, and make sure you visit often as you will learn a ton of information and meet a lot of good people here. Let me know if I can help make you feel welcome and best of luck, this is truly one of the greatest shooting disciplines. Be sure to check out any Rail Gun matches you can catch, Enjoy.
Rich

I think you misunderstood the question where do you shoot unlimited class in S. Indiana area I am familiar with I.B.S. and N.B.R.S.A. schedule I do not see a lot of " local matches " being shot in that class. I did look up schedules unless you are in Texas, Arizona or Washington state there isn't much else around outside of the nationals.

gfpd

There are no Registered matches in southern Indiana, St. Louis has an Unlimited Match coming up, as well as the others I mentioned, sorry for the confusion. I'd love to see a range take off here in Southern Indiana, or anywhere closer Ky. Tn, etc. and would support the club for sure.

This is a good thread. I have a rail. I bought to aid in learning to read the wind. I can see it making me lazy at the bench though. After an afternoon with the rail it always takes a target of two to reestablish the bench manners required by a bag gun. Has it helped in the learning to read conditions? Jury is still out. My 'aggs' really haven't shown that it did.

I agree this is a good topic

Just a few of my observations.
Most of the successful Rail Gun shooters have been shooting them for quite some time, meaning it takes a while to learn a rail.
Next if we look back through BR History most HOF shooters shot rails, also if we look at some of the famous testing sessions they were almost all done with a rail as well.
I've always wanted to become a better shooter / competitor and I feel a rail will help me achieve this goal, along with dedication, discipline and practice, but I certainly believe a rail will help you more than it hurts. Also if in fact it does take many years to become a top rail gun shooter, than there is no better time than now to start shooting one. I've had the pleasure to witness a few great rail gun shooters and to watch them perform and shoot tiny 10 shots groups is truly remarkable. Best of luck and I say if your serious about BR I would shoot / own a rail gun.

I'll say that while I agree that in a 5 shot match you can't beat a good rail with a good bag rifle (generally), BUT, the bag rifle will stay close enough to win the 4 gun. Not always so in a 10 shot match.

Back