R.F.D. Culver stye Measure, any opinion?

LRCampos

I was looking at Sinclair's catalog and saw a R.F.D. Culver style Powder Measure (#11-2500) and would like to know some opinions of it compared with the Harrells powder measures.

I liked the fact that you can throw charges from 0 to 85 grs. with the RFD, as oposite of Harrells that throws from 6 to 60 or 120.
This way I could use the RFD powder measure for some handgun caliber reloading when needed. And I could not do the same with the Harrells.

Thank you for any opinion!

Last edited:
You can always drop 2 charges from a Harrels if its a really big case. The larger issue on this is what powder are you talking about? Large kernel powders do not work well with any Culver type powder measure which both are.

Actually, what I liked about the R.F.D. measure is the possibility of throw very low charges, of 2 or 3 grains for example (very useful for handguns calibers).

actually these style of measure are GENERALLY more consistent when used mid range.

I have one of Bob Dodd's powder throws and find it to be excellent in design and construction. I cannot speak to using it for small charges but for miid to large capacity rifles it is as good as any.

Mike Swartz

one measure won't do it all

when it says 0-80 or 0-120,etc...it is really telling you the max. charge wt. ...not the min....when a "Culver" style (Harrells-Dodd-true "Culver"-etc.) measure is set below 20 cliks...it gets very un-predictable,,and of cours it depends on the type of powder...I have used mine with several "ball" powders (pistol and rifle types) and found them not reliable with a charge ammount much below 10-15 gr....the powder kernels or granules can not fall into the crack or crevace without bridging the gap and causing a log jam of sorts....that is why there are "specific" pistol types of measures being manufactured....not just because they are lil' and cute...it takes a specific desighn to function reliably and accurately...you asked for and opinion...but this is a reason....Roger

Last edited:
Expiper, thank you for your explanation.

I dont intend to load "match" handgun loads, only safe loads.
I have a Redding 3BR measure for handgun and was thinking if this R.F.D. Measuer would substitute the Redding for handgun and have a much better option than it for Rifles...

When you say "un-predicatble", what is the variation on weight you saw on... lets say 3,0 or 6,0 grsn throws (what I would use aprox. on pistol loads)? Would this variation be more than 0,2grs. for handgun throws?

wont do it

two or three grains of powder wont work....the granules are too thick and bulky to fall down in the cavity which is deep and narrow!!!!...once it is open (above 20 cliks or aprox 10 gr of most pistol powder) far enuff for the kernels of powder to start fallin in ...it will work fine....but two or three or four gr. require a round open ended cavity which is not deep but large dia. to be reliable.....hope this helps explain it....you are not the first to think that theese good benchrest measures will do it alll.....they are terrific for what they are designed for ...but wont work wayyyy down low....they wont throw three or four gr to even find out how much it varies!!!!...Roger

Exellent powder measure. Didnt care for the drop tubes (one too big one too small). I modified a harrels drop tube and it works great. The only thing I noticed is larger granual powders sometimes hangs up and you have to thump the drop tube. I would buy another one though.

Zach

Louis,

For small charges like the 2 and 3 grain chares you mention... I am Assuming Maybe bullseye and wadcutters in a .38? A dillon powder measure can't be beat. For Benchrest, All the culver types are great... Lyman 55 w/conversion, Jones, Harrell, Dodd.

Paul

Hello Paul!

Thank you everybody for the answers! I have great respect for the members on this Forum and based on this, I decided I will keep the Redding 3BR measure for pistol and just bought a Harrel Premium Benchrest Measure just for rifles loads.

I think it will be the best set up, right? ;)

expiper

gives a good explanation and description of what's needed for small amounts of "pistol" powder. RCBS Little Dandy, Lyman, and Bonanza Bulls Eye measures all use interchangeable rotors with fixed cavities(Culver principle). I use a Bulls Eye quite often (for target loads), have checked its wts with my scales, and it is extremely accurate, provided I keep the powder column rather constant. Added advantage with the Bulls Eye, is that I take it to the block of 50 cases and move the measure to each case, rather than movine cases 1 at a time, or the whole block. For hunting loads for 357 and 44mag., I use an old Ohaus measure that throws typical pistol powders very accurately and weigh every tenth round.

Dennis

LR - you made a good choice. I have both a RFD and Harrell's measure, but bought a RCBS for pistol loads. Neither the RFD or Harrells is good for small charges (as I found out...). I have found the RFD to a bit more consistent than the Harrell's.

Jeff

Last edited:
short loads

you may not be happy with pistol loads, I don't know how that 0 to 85 got there. The best pistol loads are droped with a redding pistol. longer drop tubes can get from sinclair. I can easy drop 30 graind of 133 in my ppc with the short ones

Hello Dennis!! How are your excelent BR rifle doing? Keeping shooting well?

As some of you mentioned a long drop tube, why it is needed?

As I understand (or lack of understanding...) a longer drop tube does not change or influence the quantity of powder the measure throws...

It may change the way the powder is dispensed inside the brass... a longer tube may get a more "compressed" load. But when you bring the rounds to the bench and put the loaded cartridge on the chamber, this moviment already should change any "colum" of powder that was dropped in the brass...

So, what a longer drop tube really does to the load? :confused:

Back