Quick Lathe survey...

skipkh

Just curious what lathes are most prevelant among the smiths on this board...

I use an Emco Super 11 CD that I've had for 8 years, and wouldn't trade for gold!

I imagine there are quite a few Grizzly's, old South Bend 10's, and some Nardini's in your shops... any others fellas?

The Emco, with an M, is a very good lathe. I believe that Dwight Scott still uses one.
I have a Clausing 6913 that is a 14X48. Have to use catheads on both sides of the spindle to chamber a 20.5" barrel.
Butch

my china made lathe has all of one hit on the internet........
13x40 .......1991....so far so good

mike in co

Not a professional gunsmith, more of a do-it-yourselfer and tinkerer. I have a Jet 13x40 belt drive and it has served me well. Re-barreled several of my own rifles and "trued" an action and sleeved the bolt.

My old South Bend heavy 10 inch just keeps chucking along WWII production lathe has been good to me. Thank goodness for steady rests. Even with the 1.5/8 " spindle bore ID and 48' bed, I'll still do it in the steady rest.:D

my favorite,
South bend heavy ten 36" bed and a birth date of late 1947. Great lathe for small intricate work like threading and chambering.

I ran a few of those acers about daily for a year and a neat feature ours had was constant surface speed hooked in with the vfd. facing was sweet

The Emco, with an M, is a very good lathe. I believe that Dwight Scott still uses one.
I have a Clausing 6913 that is a 14X48. Have to use catheads on both sides of the spindle to chamber a 20.5" barrel.
Butch

Butch, are we talking about THE Dwight Scott? The same man that does Tony Boyer's chambering? I'd love to know if he does those barrels on the Super 11 Emco!

It's an exceptional lathe, to be sure, but at 600 lbs, it's a little light to be a true toolroom lathe (although it's accuracy is top notch), and with 25.6" centers... well, I've never felt cramped, but then again I'm no world-class gunsmith either :)

That's funny - I have a South Bend 9" 'C' 4 1/2' in great shape, and I'm still looking for a 2nd owner :)

Grizzly 12x37 belt lathe here, far better than our old lathe, holds true when I do my part.
Lowell

Wayne,
VFD choice for precise speed control, dynamic braking, or other reason? I'm aware of their benefits in industry and was wondering if the same reasons apply to lathe operation.

Lou Baccino

Once youve run one Lou, it's hard to go back.

Back