Question

J

Jhart

in a cut rifled barrel with a run of the mill ole flat base where do you set your seating depth? Im at a loss.. this is the 2nd 1 this year thats given trouble..

in a cut rifled barrel with a run of the mill ole flat base where do you set your seating depth? Im at a loss.. this is the 2nd 1 this year thats given trouble..

Start just touching. +.005. +.010. -.005. -.010. All w/ the same load. 5 each length. see which one shoots smallest ROUND group. then work on load

Laffin', here. :D

On any new (or new to me) barrel, I start with a solid jam/seat (the seating stem .020-.025 shorter than where the rifling marks just disappear when checking seating depth). Then I only have one way to go with seating depth adjustments.

Then it's up in powder charge (from the bottom) until it shoots the smallest 3 shot group and back the seating depth up at that powder charge point by .005's. When it's shooting it's best after the seating depth changes, I back the charge weight down to the starting point and run 'er on up the scale again.

Probably other ways to do it, but this has worked well for me in both the .30's and a 'new to me' 6P....6PP....6PPC! :eek: Gawd, I can barely make myself type it! ;):D The .30's wouldn't even allow it on the same side of the gun safe at first, but I've taken a shine to it and told 'em they need to play nice and accept the new step kid.

ppc1.jpg

Seems like this 6PPC responds to .003 seating depth changes about like the .030's do the .005 changes, though.

Good shootin'. -Al

I found my problem.....
Bent firing pin!! Wish i would of found this about 2months ago....:confused:
how can you bend a dam firing pin ? Has anyone else ever bent 1?

Jim,

Maybe it's always been bent? You can bend them changing a firing pin spring, dropping, etc but normally, if they are bent, they came that way. How you been doing? Haven't heard from you or lee for a while. Sent lee a txt about some concrete work, can you check with him and see if he got it.

Hovis

tony,

ya its the 3-lug looks like its been bent for awhile now. its bent so bad it wont slide into the firing pin hole without the spring tension on it.sending it back to bat tonight looks like it might need bushed its gotten so bad..

Kevin,
Ill ask him tonight about the concrete work.
call me later tonight i washed my phone and lost everyones numbers..

Ill bet it was bent when you got it from Bat. It would not be the first 1 that I have heard of. Greg King and I made a trip to Rippee's today. That guy is a HOOT.

Back