Question on Federal UltraMatch

Travelor

I spent some time over on Rinfire Central, but did not hear any definitive answers.

Have any of you shot it and what is your evaluation?

For the $7.99 per box I paid, I'm thinking a lower grade of RWS.

Travelor,

If your asking about the Federal Ultra match part number UM22. I have shot it in my old sporter. From what I remember it shot fairly well. I wouldn’t trust it at match level shooting.

P.S. I just wanted to add that at the time I was shooting 100yds and the ammo had a tendency to walk up and down a bit. Give it a try and see how it shoots.

Bob

Last edited:
UM22 is made by

Travelor,

If your asking about the Federal Ultra match part number UM22. I have shot it in my old sporter. From what I remember it shot fairly well. I wouldn’t trust it at match level shooting.

P.S. I just wanted to add that at the time I was shooting 100yds and the ammo had a tendency to walk up and down a bit. Give it a try and see how it shoots.

Bob

RWS for Federal. Seems to shoot well but availability over the last few years was on and off. Have you tried RWS R50 or R100?

Originally Posted by Bob1949
Travelor,

Bob
UM22 is made by RWS for Federal. Seems to shoot well but availability over the last few years was on and off. Have you tried RWS R50 or R100?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
glp,

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of the RWS connection. I haven’t tried the R50 or R100. Since then I got myself a nice bench gun, as of yet I haven’t had a chance to try any of the Federal ammo in the new gun. I’m still in the process of finding out what the gun likes. I’ve had some luck with CCI standard velocity, still running through bricks of the stuff. SK match also shoots well but it’s difficult to get a hold of. I’ve also moved to 50yds and the smaller targets. Oddly enough it’s tougher than 100yds.

Bob

Thanks guys, I shot the first informal match with the UltraMatch UM22 yesterday in very switchy 5-7 mph winds. NOT GOOD FOR TESTING, but it was what it was. I gave 10 rounds to any of my fellow shooters that wanted to test it in their guns - some did and some held it for a better day.

My experience was at first not so good in my custom 10/22, until I pulled me head out of my posterior and changed my tuner setting. I was shooting two guns, the 10/22 has a Walther barrel and a Harrel's tuner. After tuning a 5 shot group that was all touching at 50 yards. The other gun was a a Volstok CM-2 with metallic sights, also at 50 yards. Shooting the NRA 50 yard A27 target, I shot all 10's and 13X's after firing two shots to zero.

The other shooters that did test yesterday had results from great to mediocre (22 rifles are very ammo finicky). Overall the response was very good and I had offers to purchase some of this from my supply (which I did not) and two shooters ordered a case a case each from Bud's Gun Shop.

Now a question for the forum: My ammo is labeled UM22 on the box and on the case. When we ordered the two cases using the same link ( https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Gold Medal 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Ultra Matc/ ) I used in my order, the product came up UM22A

Without assuming, is this the same ammo?

Same ammo?

You'll need the lot number from your particular box of ammo to match with the lot numbers you ordered to be sure it is same lot. If the first box came from the same supplier,chances are it could be the same lot.

UM22:
Is referred to as: Federal Premium Gold Medal Ultra Match
40gr 1080fps LRN

UM22A:
Is referred to as: Federal Premium Gold Medal Ultra Match
40gr 1080fps LRN

I have not found any differences in the technical specifications between the two models of ammunition. I have been informed that the UM22 is manufactured by RWS for Federal. See post #5. above. Not much information but it’s all I could find on short notice.

Bob

I ordered two additional cases of UM22 Ultra Match Thursday as my match members are wanting some more. The invoice that came as a result of the order listed the ammo as UM22A not the advertised UM22. I asked Bud's Gun Shop about the difference, if any, between UM22 and UM22A and got the following response:

"A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #440778 with the following response:

Thanks for contacting BudsGunShop.com,

We verified with Federal that it is the correct ammo. Apparently they had a printing issue on their end and some are labeled UM22, some UM22A and some labeled 922A, but they assured us they are all the same ammo. If you have more questions, please call us at 859-368-0371 from 9AM-9PM EST, Monday through Friday, or contact Federal at 800-379-1732.

Sincerely,
Steve"

HOWEVER, on the Federal website Federal 922A is NOT Utra Match, but rather is identified as Match (one level below Untra Match).

Last edited:
Federal Match....Federal Ultra Match

Shot 4/7/2017........one of the shooters had Federal Ultra-Match 922A, checked my odds and ends and have 5 boxes of Federal Match 922A(about 6 years old).
Both mfg by RWS.

Back