Question on bench setup and rear bag

J

JasonBrown

This may have been talked about but I have not found anything that helps me so far. Hopefully someone could offer their advice. I have a bat 3 in a Tony Larrson stock. I have two different rear bags one is a protector bag and the other is a Edgewood. Fist question would be what bags with a Larrson stock are people using. Second how full are you having the bags. Not looking to be a bag squeezer but am I trying to bust the seems out to get it full enough. Always seem like about my third shot the gun is off target and exceeding my Farley joystick to get it back. So then I have to move the rear bag around and that's in the middle of my group. Also is there any tips on how to set your bench up. I always feel like that is my down fall. Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks again

Jason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 393
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 402
had a similar problem, it was the farley front rest. It would be hard to explain but it was the rest. Repaired it and won a yardage.

First, make sure you are not using the bags bass-ackwards......the slope of the ears should follow the slope of the stock. The other suggestions are right on target - tap your stock into the rear bag (only before first shot- never between shots in a match)- then run the gun back and forth in the bags multiple times, The stock should ride the base of the ears ...not the the bottom of the notch, Use some form of bag lube, On painted benches -clean off dust with damp rag and leave the bag contact area damp, last have someone observe to make sure you are not contacting the bag with your body.

Im always shocked at how many bags i see backwards and how many argue when you point it out. If you step back and look its only common sense but oh well

had a similar problem, it was the farley front rest. It would be hard to explain but it was the rest. Repaired it and won a yardage.

I would be real interested in what you did because I have already had problems with my Farley rest. I have only owned the rest for about 6 months and the third time I went to use it the bearing for joystick popped out the back and was making the top rock when I would move it. I was in mainville for a match luckily Russell Rains had a c clamp with him and I pressed it back in. I check it every time but I guess under recoil it could be moving and I am not seeing it. I should have sent it back right then but I didn't.

As far as having the bags facing the right way. I have tried them both ways. I do push the gun down in but maybe I am getting it to far in the bag. I appreciate you all taking your time to answer my question.

Thanks

Jason

I will try and call them and see what they say. Thanks
Good luck on that one. Make sure you have your boots on, and if Mike tells you to send it back, you might be lucky if you get it back say about in the year 2018. True story, Mike fixed this rest for a guy in VA and my friend Chris Mitchell, (Z Dog) ended up with it here in Maine. Now that's customer service for you when you have no idea where it's suppose to go.

Last edited:
Rear Bag

Sounds a lot to me like your rear bag moving on you, or if your close to the edge of the bench maybe your chest is bumping it.

I would look into the rear bag movement thing. I have run across it, and the very best way to fix it that I have ever tried is to use a sheet of 150 grit sanding screen under the rear bag. The other issue can be bumping the bag with your chest. This can happen when someone has his rear bag too far back on the buttstock. IMO the best position has the center of the ears halfway between the butt and the back of the pistol grip.
http://www.essencesurf.com/150-grit-silicon-carbide-sanding-screen-5-pack/

(I can buy single sheets at a local hardware store.)

Slick up the rear bag such that the rifle sliding in the bag does not move it. Place your shoulder close to the rifle to keep whatever you need to keep from hitting the bag...an inch will do it...half inch is better. Don't allow anything on your body to touch the bag. That should fix it but put a non-sliding surface on the bottom of your bag like Boyd said. One of those Skip Otto type bag levelers is the cat's meow....in my aged opinion.

Keep in mind that the rifle touches the bag while it slams into your shoulder...and if your shoulder is doing some funny business the bag will move. I laughed for years when guys would write that their rifle didn't move from point of aim when fired. I was helping a fellow with something or other which required that I shoot his rifle and was completely dumbstruck as to the repeatability of return. It wasn't exactly legal the way he had it set up but was in the ballpark with the rest of the folks...some were more and some were less.

Came back to add this....

Fix this problem immediately! Don't shoot another match until this problem is fixed!!

Last edited:
I use the rubber non skid sheet under the bag. I have never used any powder or and bag lube. I guess I figured since it was not a leather bag it would not be grabbing the gun stock.

Back