question about chamber depth

BudInTenn

While working up handloads for a new XR-100 in 223 I found with the 52gr Sierra hp that the bullet was pushed 0.015" deeper into the case than the suggested overall cartridge length listed in the Sierra manual. 2.235 actual vs 2.25 listed. In cleaning the barrel everything felt fine. As far as I can see without a bore scope it looks fine. Once the bullet is pushed in far enought the rounds chamber just fine. Should I just be sure to back off the load and give it a try, watching for pressure signs as usual? This is the first chamber I have ever run into that the lands were this close. Thanks for the advise.

Close lands

While working up handloads for a new XR-100 in 223 I found with the 52gr Sierra hp that the bullet was pushed 0.015" deeper into the case than the suggested overall cartridge length listed in the Sierra manual. 2.235 actual vs 2.25 listed. In cleaning the barrel everything felt fine. As far as I can see without a bore scope it looks fine. Once the bullet is pushed in far enought the rounds chamber just fine. Should I just be sure to back off the load and give it a try, watching for pressure signs as usual? This is the first chamber I have ever run into that the lands were this close. Thanks for the advise.

Lucky you! Most of the time the problem is too long a throat. In my .223 rilfes I usually jump the bullet 0.015" and use a Stoney Point (Hornady) gauge to find the lands and then back off that much. 2.25" is usually magazine length for an AR. Seating deeper will increase pressure so watch for pressure. nhk

Back