Protektor Aluminum Front Rest

usmc3439

Hello to all from NC!

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with the aluminum front rest Protektor Model manufactures. I am looking to upgrade my Sinclair Lightweight rest to something nicer with windage adjustments. After looking at parts to upgrade my current rest, the amount of money I will invest on the upgrade will surpass the amount of money required to purchase a quality new rest with the features I want. At this point I have narrowed it down to the Protektor rest and the Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest with windage top.

Plenty of good things said about the Sinclair rest but not many reviews or end user information for the Protektor.

Thanks in advance!

Heri

A couple things come to my mind right away. What are you using this rest for as far as rifle are concerned? Is the weight of the front rest an issue with you? I’m using a rather heavy at 38 pounds front rest and I like that aspect of it. I shoot short range BR with this rest and with a bench rest rifle weighing 10.5 or 13.5 pounds. The weight of the rest keeps the rifle close to on target shot after rapid shot. I had an aluminum Bald Eagle rest for years and always struggled with keeping it where I wanted it to be. Enough people shoot an aluminum Bald Eagle that this problem was probably me. I also had a cast iron Bald Eagle and life was much better with the rest. As far as the Protektor front rest is concerned, I’m wondering if that 2 1/8 inch elevation distance will be a concern to you. I don’t shoot long range so I don’t know if that short elevation distance is as much of an issue as it can be in short range. Also, the Protektor front rest is a near copy of the Bald Eagle Sling Shot front rest that was designed and built for those who were having a problem with narrow benches. The down side of that design was less stability with a rifle with a higher twist rate incurring more torque on this type of front rest and bags. Protektor is a company with a good reputation and they may have overcome some of my “short comings” with this type of rest. On the other hand, Sinclair is also a reputable company and I see a lot of their front rests along the firing line at short range bench rest matches and that makes them worthy of consideration in your case. Did I answer your question or muddy the water? There is an announcement of the new kid on the block on Accurate Shooter.Com and in that review you might notice that the Protektor rest in their review has an after market base plate on it which may or may not tell you something about weight.

ask this somewhere other than the gunsmith forum ??
any of the first three forums would be betterIMHO

Hello to all from NC!

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with the aluminum front rest Protektor Model manufactures. I am looking to upgrade my Sinclair Lightweight rest to something nicer with windage adjustments. After looking at parts to upgrade my current rest, the amount of money I will invest on the upgrade will surpass the amount of money required to purchase a quality new rest with the features I want. At this point I have narrowed it down to the Protektor rest and the Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest with windage top.

Plenty of good things said about the Sinclair rest but not many reviews or end user information for the Protektor.

Thanks in advance!

Heri

I have the aluminum Protektor rest as well as a Hart cast iron and course a Farley. I find myself using the Protektor for trips to the range to test loads for hunting rifles over the heavier Hart and I seem to be able to shoot just as well with it.
On the other hand, the aluminum rest is not finished and looks a little rough. I will probably end up making a stainless elevation wheel to replace the aluminum part and painting the base with Cerakote. It would be nice if someone out there would step up and make a really nice aluminum rest like the one JJ Loh made.

A couple things come to my mind right away. What are you using this rest for as far as rifle are concerned? Is the weight of the front rest an issue with you? I’m using a rather heavy at 38 pounds front rest and I like that aspect of it. I shoot short range BR with this rest and with a bench rest rifle weighing 10.5 or 13.5 pounds. The weight of the rest keeps the rifle close to on target shot after rapid shot. I had an aluminum Bald Eagle rest for years and always struggled with keeping it where I wanted it to be. Enough people shoot an aluminum Bald Eagle that this problem was probably me. I also had a cast iron Bald Eagle and life was much better with the rest. As far as the Protektor front rest is concerned, I’m wondering if that 2 1/8 inch elevation distance will be a concern to you. I don’t shoot long range so I don’t know if that short elevation distance is as much of an issue as it can be in short range. Also, the Protektor front rest is a near copy of the Bald Eagle Sling Shot front rest that was designed and built for those who were having a problem with narrow benches. The down side of that design was less stability with a rifle with a higher twist rate incurring more torque on this type of front rest and bags. Protektor is a company with a good reputation and they may have overcome some of my “short comings” with this type of rest. On the other hand, Sinclair is also a reputable company and I see a lot of their front rests along the firing line at short range bench rest matches and that makes them worthy of consideration in your case. Did I answer your question or muddy the water? There is an announcement of the new kid on the block on Accurate Shooter.Com and in that review you might notice that the Protektor rest in their review has an after market base plate on it which may or may not tell you something about weight.

I mostly shoot vintage target 22 rifles at 50 yards for pleasure and practice. No competition. My Sinclair Lightweight seems to do just fine with the weight of a Winchester 52D on Protektor bags so something similar with windage adjustments would do trick. Light weight would not be an issue. Thank you for your reply! I will take your thoughts into consideration.

I have the aluminum Protektor rest as well as a Hart cast iron and course a Farley. I find myself using the Protektor for trips to the range to test loads for hunting rifles over the heavier Hart and I seem to be able to shoot just as well with it.
On the other hand, the aluminum rest is not finished and looks a little rough. I will probably end up making a stainless elevation wheel to replace the aluminum part and painting the base with Cerakote. It would be nice if someone out there would step up and make a really nice aluminum rest like the one JJ Loh made.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I think if I bought the Protektor I would get a friend to Cerakote the base. Glad to hear that it is a good piece of equipment.

Nice rest but it doesn’t have the windage top the Marine is looking for. Of course, you can get a windage top for it.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:788510)

I just got in 3 of the slingshots with the windage top from this sale

I keep 2 25lb bags of lead birdshot in the truck. They drape over the rear leg of a rest in many positions. Worst case ever I used both bags and a rolled up bench towel to hold down the rear leg on a setup where the shotbags were in the way of my hands (downhill angle range)

Back