Properly adjusted regulator

DanB

Here are three 10 shot strings shot at 1700, 2250, and 3000psi fills.
normal_ML_gun.jpg

That was with a customer's TM 1000, JSB heavies in .177.
If anything the reg may be set a touch high, but when the averages are this close trying to improve them is a waste of time.
Dan

Last edited:
Dan, when you did that test did you adjust the hammer spring for each pressure setting ?

Port size also play a big role in consistancy. From what I've seen the TM's generally come with smaller ports than the Theoben's used to......

Same hammer spring adjustment, the only change is tank pressure.
Dan

Dan, when you did that test did you adjust the hammer spring for each pressure setting ?

Port size also play a big role in consistancy. From what I've seen the TM's generally come with smaller ports than the Theoben's used to......

Then the port must be the restrickter in this case, therefore the same Ave speed. That will also explain the very small ES, but the rifle might not be tuned for optimal air usage (shotcount) I think.

The pressures listed are tank pressures, there is a regulator in the gun. If the regulator was set at an improper pressure the average velocity of the three strings would be much different.
DAn

Then the port must be the restrickter in this case, therefore the same Ave speed. That will also explain the very small ES, but the rifle might not be tuned for optimal air usage (shotcount) I think.

Sorry Dan, I totally misread initial post. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice numbers, consistent speed regardless of fill pressure. Dan's the regulator man.

Folks,

What to you deem to be an acceptable ES for BR. I'm currently striving for an ES of 1-1.5% of mean velocity for a 50 shot string (I'm shooting around 50 shots for a 25 bull target). I guess what I'm really asking is if all other factors are working what is the max ES that could still shoot competitively? Can a 1% ES shoot a 250? 1.5%? 2%?

Back